This is the weird regal history of White Castle hamburgers (Video)

Originally published at: This is the weird regal history of White Castle hamburgers (Video) | Boing Boing

1 Like

Much better than Denny’s for late-night drunk food.

6 Likes

FYI: Wichita is also the origin point for the first NuWay Cafe, famous for its loose-meat sandwiches. We like burgers in my hometown.

ETA: Really wishing I had a Dog N’ Shake (“We butter toast our buns for you!”), Kwiky Burger, Charlie’s Famous Burgers, or a NuWay right now (all Wichita institutions, whether present or past).

2 Likes

The slyders in the picture are their sloppy joes. Which are good, too, and aren’t terribly loaded with sodum (compared to other stuff on the menu), per serving. White Castle should be a treat. The same goes for Krystal (if you live in the South, you take what you can get).

2 Likes

taco bell or gtfo!

1 Like

It’ll GTFO, alright - everything in your lower intestine in short order.

7 Likes

White Castle is the best. I saw my first shooting at a Detroit White Castle in the 70s.

4 Likes

What is great about a person being killed? That sounds fucking awful, actually.

6 Likes

So THAT is the backstory behind the Bowling Green Massacre!

4 Likes

3 Likes

Sigh. The local variation on this, Little Taverns are all gone.

2 Likes

Maid-Rite, if you’re in Iowa or Missouri

2 Likes

I remember them from my 60’s late night teenage stoner munchie searches:

Their sign read: “Buy 'em by the sack”.

12 cents per burger (in 1968)!

They were open all night.

Back then they tasted like gas station street leather but they were definitely filling.

1 Like

How is that a bad thing? You want the meat to exit that end as smoothly as possible.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.