This mornings tweet: Obama wiretapped Trump tower

https://www.emptywheel.net/2017/03/04/the-conspiratorial-game-of-telephone-in-bannons-rag-that-made-left-right-and-potus-go-crazy/

This is a good write-up of the whole thing with good sourcing.

EDIT

Apparently Trump has booted the press and is in “crisis mode.”

6 Likes

Did you find any takers for this bet yet, comrade?

Apparently Trump has booted the press and is in “crisis mode.”

9 Likes

So from the sound of things it basically boils down to a few distinct possibilities:

1. Trump read some BS conspiracy theories on Breitbart (or Infowars, etc) and freaked out
  2. It’s true, and Obama did in fact illegally wiretap him, which would be a massive scandal
    or 3., which is starting to sound the most plausible: It’s true, and Obama/FBI obtained a legal search warrant to examine credible threat of Russian interference with the election. If this is true, the threat must be extremely credible for a court to allow a search warrant of a candidate during an election, and Trump may have just essentially and inadvertnently admitted guilt.
23 Likes

I think it might be more than just a raving lunatic who listens to right-wing talk radio. I think it is an effort to distract from his russian problem. He’s now calling for congress to investigate abuses of power by Obama. And they’ll be eager to do it. Anything the get the press to stop talking about Putin.

13 Likes

I doubt congress will move on this. Even with a GOP majority congress for 6 years their supporters don’t realize that they have gotten nothing done because “Democrat obstruction” and that all the things they don’t like Obama doing (VA funding, Benghazi, etc) are their budget’s and policy’s fault.

If they take action they prove Trump is an idiot and hurt their cause, but if they blame the Democrat minority they get to keep the (((global elite))) fantasy alive.

3 Likes

Imagine how much more dangerous Trump would be if he could read!

5 Likes

It has been shown time and again that debating blatant lies only makes them more credible.

People with their minds made up remember “Obama wiretapped Trump tower” and the more often it is debated the more familiar, and therefore more true, it appears.

The only headline should have been “President lies about wiretap. Terrible!

14 Likes

But then, people thinking that Trump is the sort who the feds wiretap isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

I mean, you’re right, but in my dreams we could also go with oddly detailed denials. In truth, there’s no evidence that Obama had Trump wiretapped after learning he was negotiating about Ukraine in exchange for Putin keeping quiet about the prostitutes. No evidence of wiretapping at all.

9 Likes

5 Likes

It seems like if 2 or 3 were true it would be a) classified b) not something he would have “just found out” c) something he would have evidence for

The whole thing is just so bizarre and I can’t imagine this ending well. Then again who am I kidding, it’s Teflon Don after all.

1 Like

My experience as well, although with an older crowd, so not so much of the Randian platitudes.

There’s sort of a wide-eyed, guilty look too.

7 Likes

I’ll try to find the source but apparently it was a computer tap.

2 Likes

“Predator inspection behaviour”.

Yeah, right. Thems turkeys is doin’ a death dance, I seen it before! They circle you, peck you to death from behind, eatchyaeyeballs - all of it. Thens they dance.

5 Likes

So, double the racism then?

I’m waiting until everybody has that look, and Trump makes Truman’s approval ratings look like Eisenhower’s.

2 Likes

Well, according to Mark Levin, the evidence is overwhelming (links to Breitbart if you prefer not to give them the clicks)

5 Likes

The FBI disagree.

7 Likes

I’ve taken to checking Breitbart just to see what the alternative world Trump lives in is like. The whole zeitgist of the place is really odd to pin down. It’s so clearly now a virtual arm of the White House so there seems to be a feedback loop where Bannon dump stuff into Trump’s brain through it and then reinforces whatever Trump wants to hear.

9 Likes

I’m glad that someone is doing it. It wouldn’t do my mental health any good if I had to look there myself.

9 Likes

13 Likes