This Republican strategist says "members of the Church of Secular Science" wear masks to prove superiority

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/01/this-republican-strategist-say.html

13 Likes

demonstrating that they are the elite; smarter, more rational, and morally superior to everyone else.

I mean, to the extent that we’re doing so because the science says it will keep us from getting sick and spreading the disease, he’s not necessarily wrong

94 Likes

or, as we like to call them in our neighborhood, rational, informed adults.

75 Likes

In which a statement of fact is somehow meant to be also a political statement. Irony challenged perhaps.

There is no middle ground between wrong and not wrong.

41 Likes

As ever, it’s Republican projection.

47 Likes

Now that Republicans acknowledge that fact, one has to ask what they are demonstrating by not wearing masks.

63 Likes

Now I’m wondering if you see reduced transmission in places where women routinely cover their noses and mouths with hijab in public. Iran was hit hard early, but you’d want to see more examples before discounting hijab as a potential infection control. Maybe someone will post a pre-print soon!

4 Likes

Church of Secular Science

Ummmm. You have four words and I think you have two problems right there.

With just four words.

Just drop the the first three and you’re on the first step to sounding semi-intelligent.

31 Likes

They can be the Crimson Tide.

5 Likes

If by keeping myself and the people around me from contracting Covid-19 makes me smarter, more rational and morally superior, then I’m guilty as charged.

47 Likes

Well, it would have been tacky for me to say it; but if Mr. Castellanos is willing to be so effusive… I’m blushing here. Also, assuming that he’s probably dumb, irrational; and saved from moral imbecility only by a well developed instinct for evil.

17 Likes

Giving a shit about your fellow man is very much a christian value, so why can’t wearing a mask also be considered a christian symbol too?

Well maybe not in the eyes of extreme and fundamental christianists, but they had their priorities backwards for a very long time.

33 Likes

Pedantry: a hijab doesn’t cover the face. Burqas and niqabs do.

36 Likes

Its more of a laboratory than a church, and there’s no need to bow for we are the gods of data, but preventing disease spread is “morally superior”, so on that part I agree

28 Likes

Whoops! That’s embarrassing ignorance on my part. Thanks for the correction!

17 Likes

One would think that a ‘strategist’ would have at least a conceptual familiarity with data-based, or at least data-vaguely-adjacent epistemology.

If you don’t have that, you aren’t a strategist; just a pundit.

20 Likes

The difference between the Church of Secular Science and other churches?

Science produces tangible results.

You can’t prove that you’ll go to heaven when you die, but I can prove that electricity can be generated with a magnet and some wire.

(And let me know when this church is protected under the Bill of Rights like other religions.)

30 Likes

When some arsehole makes a comment like this, it’s only a matter of time before another arsehole decides to use a gun to blow a hole in a few people wearing masks.

edited to say: and maybe that was the intention all along.

15 Likes

Not a very effective strategist, anyway.

1 Like

Because these strategists can’t see anything outside of their partisan warfare bubble our infection rates are on the rise again. There is no reason wearing a facemask for health reasons should be seen as a political act, but political acts are the only thing this person understands.

6 Likes