This Republican strategist says "members of the Church of Secular Science" wear masks to prove superiority

Interesting hypothesis. It is also common for members of the same sex to hold hands in the middle east, including Iran if I am not mistaken. Several nations where Islam is the state religion also are among the highest reported infection rates (though they are also near the top in testing, so…)

3 Likes

Republicans really just love making shit up.

That is the strategy.

8 Likes

“Your kind just thinks they’re better than us.” Apparently balls-out southern resentfulness is what they consider their best option to sell a mincy germophobe from Queens.

And this guy has a degree in philosophy. Bet his professors are proud.

8 Likes

I’ll take his Church of Secular Scientists and raise him with the Church of Bob!

Is that a wind breaker he’s holding or the Rona??

23 Likes

He’s not a pundit, but rather a partisan hack. Without a sense of shame. But I repeat myself.

8 Likes

It’s what I do. :grin:

Actually, I knew that because I’ve made the same mistake, so I’m passing the embarrassment forward.

6 Likes

“…demonstrating that they are the elite; smarter, more rational, and morally superior to everyone else”

Well, not necessarily everyone else. Just those who would believe this a-hole could possibly be correct about anything.

6 Likes

Its the Bishop!

18 Likes

Been a while since I’ve seen that graphic from the Church of the SubGenius.

It is written that the Nazi Hell Creatures will finally get theirs via the Stark Fist of Removal. But when?

9 Likes

Looks to me a Roman Catholic nun wearing a mask while giving food to homeless people. Not the church of Secular Science to me.

35 Likes

“…smarter, more rational, and morally superior to everyone else.”

They demonstrably are. However, I will give this Republican credit for being unintentionally right about one thing- a lot of people are “wearing” masks as though they’re religious talismans rather than physical barriers that have to cover the nose and mouth to function. I’ve seen people walking down crowded streets with a mask around their mouth with their nose exposed, a mask wrapped around their chin, draped around their neck, or even just held in their hand. While right next to people, breathing all over them, making no attempt to keep their distance. For people who are using them as nothing more than a fashion accessory, he’s absolutely right, they’re superstitiously going through the motions. If only that were anywhere close to the actual point he was trying to make.

12 Likes

I dunno about “Church of Secular Science” - the current situation really has me saying “Jesus Christ” a lot. (Granted, it’s followed by “what an asshole,” in response to dudes like this, but…)

Yeah, the Republican tendency to project has gone some really weird places as they’ve done more and more of it, but this is the strangest. Blaming other people for politicizing masks? Really? I’m now fully expecting that, in a couple years, Republicans will blame Democrats for president Trump.

I do see a lot of people claiming that wearing a mask is an IQ test. Obviously his statement is, in part, a reaction to that. The fact that a group is doing something objectively stupid, but then accusing people who aren’t of acting superior by not doing the stupid thing… that does my head in.

It’s such a cliché claim from the religious right - that science and/or secularism are churches and thus functionally equivalent to their own religious-based beliefs (while also being inferior). They get into weird conspiracy theories to explain why science is a religion, but it’s just the most moronic of oxymorons to claim secularism is. (The idea that someone could be both religious and believe in a secular society doesn’t even occur to them.) It’s particularly weird when they start claiming something is a church in order to attack it, given how loudly they claim “pro-religion” positions. (Because it turns out they are actually just pro-white evangelical Christianity positions.)

It’s all about projection and creating equivalencies, too. He’s not wearing a mask as a political statement, therefore anyone wearing a mask must be similarly political in their motivation. (No one who disagrees with him does things for good reasons - they have to have the same bad reasons as him, but also be bad people because they disagree with him.)

Because that’s not their version of Christianity.

He’s a faith-based “strategist.” He goes with his gut (i.e. “follow your prejudices” - his previous, often racist, campaign strategies showed him this works).

Up until recently, mask-wearing was just derided by the right; something for deluded “sheep” to do. But they’ve very much been escalating as soon as they started talking about mask-wearing as a partisan symbol of hating the president. I’d very much not be surprised if it resulted in violence as a result.

I’m actually shocked it wasn’t from some unaccredited “Bible college.”

19 Likes

She is obviously not the right kind of Christian.

7 Likes

My landlords wife finally found out what I think about this and that I am incredibly liberal and they’ve been renting to a guy that likes Bernie for over a year-and-a-half.

It was about an hour and a half conversation I never wanted to have and now I know that they truly are completely batshit insane and do not believe masks do anything I actually heard the reality she believes and it’s the opposite of everything real.

I mean I thought that kind of thing is just caricature and doesn’t actually exist to that degree but I literally just found out she said all of this with a straight face.

According to her masks are not proven to do anything and keep people from breathing and I was trying to hold back my incredible rage at her ignorance even as I told her the people I work with refuse to wear masks when I have no immune system at all-

She used the exact words “the many in America should not have their freedom restricted to protect the few” and “should everyone in America be inconvenienced so you feel safe?”

Can you guys even imagine what it’s like to know that you’re going to give your money to support that family with your own rent after hearing something like that?
Especially if you’ve seen my comments before and you know exactly what I believe on here?

Yes many Republicans actually are sociopaths and they don’t even see it as sociopathy they live in a separate bubble of logic that only works with them

38 Likes

To be fair, there are varying levels of wrong, like, “the earth is flat” and “the earth is a sphere” are both wrong. But one is way less wrong

EDIT: Technically the earth is an oblate spheroid.

8 Likes

I always like to ask someone making assertions like TFA does how they propose to resolve the disagreement. It generally comes to an appeal to some self-appointed authority or the equivalent of “I can beat you up.”

Only in some heretical sects. The True Republican Faith has rejected that particular heresy and in fact holds just the opposite.

3 Likes

spheroid you say? Hold on, just a moment.

Hey, y’all. Shut down the assembly line! We’re gonna have to make some minor changes in that GOP Desk Art product line.

9 Likes

Republican strategy:

13 Likes

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

• Isaac Asimov
27 Likes

Or it could just be that mask wearers have thought about the consequences of actions and decided a little inconvenience, based on the best we know at this moment, benefits everyone.

20 Likes