This second Ghostbusters trailer looks fantastic

There is a film chit chat thread and I post quickie reviews of stuff there, mostly the from the “class” I take. So far nothing has been as painful as Invasion Of The Star Creatures and we have seen some pretty awful films.
ETA some of the more veteran attendees of the class say King Kong Lives was the worst one.

1 Like

Lead by Trump and his 'follower’s

2 Likes

Wow. I just read the Plot Summary.

I’d pay ca$h money to see that movie, especially with 21st century VFX. Hey, Dino…!

1 Like

You can find it on YouTube… I dunno it got so hokey awful in execution I couldn’t finish watching it. The SFX were not the bad part of the film.

1 Like

I’m hopeful this is because Bill Murry plays a man who had hoped to collect the ghosts/gather all the ectoplasmic energy to try seeing his friend one last time.

2 Likes

Hmm. I dunno, I can stomach quite a bit. Like this moment from King Kong Vs. Godzilla.

For sheer hokiness, that’s a tough act to follow.

5 Likes

I like to think the Man In The Yellow Hat is in one of those helicopters.

5 Likes

Okay have you seen APE? Or Mighty Peking Man? Both of those are both awful and wonderful fun. King Kong Lives just tries to hard to be serious and make a statement that it falls flat.

Haven’t seen either. Must see both.

1 Like

His recent performances have been a bit stiff come to think of it.

7 Likes

Yes you should and you can start with APE.

True story: I actually liked the sequels more than the original, which just seemed over-acted and way too self-serious for my tastes.

But the sequels? They were so over the top that they moved from story-telling to myth-making, and I found it much easier to “suspend my disbelief,” because one consumes myth differently than story.

Granted, I think I may be the only person in the universe who disliked the first movie, but actually liked the third (the second was kind-of on the fence for me).

2 Likes

I hear ya!

Wait, what? OK I understand, I just don’t get it. I just see Ghostbusters as some mediocre 80’s comedy that was lifted by good performances from a pretty amazing cast.

From what I’ve seen the reboot looks like you could say the same about it.

To each their own.

I sold a guitar a few months back, a black '84 Ibanez Roadstar II. Japanese made, very nice to play, but the tremolo on it was shit. Still, I got a strong price on it on eBay, so I was happy I got someone who appreciated some vintage quality.

Guy turns up to pick it up. I spend about 5 minutes explaining to him how I’ve set the action pretty low, but its got light strings on it, so he might want to raise it, I’ve kept the fretboard lightly oiled and over all it’s in great shape, here’s an amp you can demo it with, go for it, at which point I notice the complete lack of comprehension on his face.

He looks at me and says “so you’re a muso hey?”

And I’m thinking like, yeah, isn’t that the point of us meeting? We are exchanging a musical instrument for money…

He says “I’m a huge ‘Back to the Future’ fan. This is the guitar Marty McFly plays in his audition”.

Awesome. Thing’s never going to be played again, it’s probably hanging on a wall somewhere now.

Anyway… where was I? Oh yeah. I mean, “Back to the Future” right? Like again, it was OK.

I dunno, I guess if they remade “Alien” I’d be pretty down on it, but they’ve already completely botched that franchise with bad sequels, just like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and Star Wars.

Nothings sacred.

1 Like

Obviously what a person considers a classic is going to vary, but if you look at films like Alien, Ghostbusters and Back to the Future, you can objectively say they stuck with people more than other good movies from the same era. Beverly Hills Cop came out the same year, is generally considered a good comedy, and has a very similar rating to Ghostbusters on IMDb, but it certainly didn’t have as lasting a cultural impact.

If you’re one of the people who don’t get why Ghostbusters is a big deal, that’s fine. Everyone is going to “get” some movies and not others. When people who don’t get a film decide to cash in on its name recognition with a remake, using the exact same title and logo, that’s when fans get a bit upset.

4 Likes

Although on to the topic at hand, the second trailer looks better than the first one, although neither makes me want to run out and see the movie.

At least the second trailer had a lot more paranormal-green glowing stuff, which, having grown up in that era, will always spark fondness in my heart. I’ll always love that stuff…

That is just so wrong…

… But Kristian Wiig is incredibly hot!

(But then again, I married a physicist.)

Oh, I KNEW there had to be a new trailer out there, after seeing the new upsurge of people complaining about the movie.

So if it’s the most-disliked movie trailer ever on YouTube, it must be the worst trailer ever, right? Nobody has ever made a shittier movie trailer. There can’t be any other reason for people to hate it so much.

Next time I see a trailer that looks lousy I’m going to keep checking its views on YouTube to see how many dislikes it gets compared to either of these Ghostbusters trailers; I wonder what the results will be.

3 Likes

Yea, this trailer is fine.

The other one really had me thinking: wow that just didn’t work out AT ALL.

This one has me thinking, yea, that movie will probably be OK.

Unfortunately for the second trailer I already saw the first one.

This has me thinking maybe the people making the second trailer did a really good job, but the movie still didn’t work.

1 Like

This one is quite a lot better. I might actually watch this! The lady thing/race thing got me quite bad.

1 Like

Because fuck you, that’s why.

12 Likes