This self-brewing mug is reinventing coffee on-the-go

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/04/this-self-brewing-mug-is-reinv.html

1 Like

my antennae go up when i hear i need a subscription to drink coffee.

16 Likes

According to reviews that I have seen, it is perfect if you like bitter lukewarm coffee.

13 Likes

Yeah, but the picture looks exactly like me in the middle of my morning commute!

18 Likes

but the antennae part was correct?

5 Likes

I envy your commute.

3 Likes

Do we know who endorses these products, or is Boing Boing’s Store a sentient being?

3 Likes

If it made hot coffee, there’s so many ways for stuff to go horribly wrong. I’m not sure I would want a handheld mug that was literally boiling my coffee.

2 Likes

Hold it between your legs?

7 Likes

Watch out for those coffee pod people.

10 Likes

“Carry easily in a pack or in your car - it’s the size of a thermos”

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said to myself, “If only I had a thermos-sized device that would allow me to have hot coffee on my commute”.

16 Likes

Wouldn’t a self-brewing coffee mug be made of coffee?

6 Likes

Chair lifts are mass-transit options, aren’t they?

3 Likes

In my experience using most mugs is pretty straightforward.

8 Likes

Klein bottles mugs can be confusing

3 Likes

And when the coffee company that makes these plastic, landfill-filling pods goes out of business, you’ll have a sleek, modern paperweight.

5 Likes

lol read the reviews on Amazon, this thing is garbage.

2 Likes

CEO: Those Keurig guys are rich, let’s make a portable version!
CFO: The numbers look good!
CTO: It’s technically feasible!
– a month after the first batch from Shenzen is pushed through the distribution channel –
CSO: Umm, guys, we got bupkis for sales, was there any actual market analysis?

2 Likes

After Katrina, I was part of a crew who went down for industrial repairs. I brought with me 2 cases of self heating coffee. It was more of a latte really. You peeled foil from the bottom and pressed a rubber button to break the seal between two liquids which reacted and heated the coffee. You had about a minute to open the top before they would burst. Modern MREs have much the same feature.
In an area with no running water and difficult conditions, they became the most valuable items I’ve ever carried. I traded them for everything from gas to ribey steak.

Sadly, idiots would forget to open the top and in came the lawyers… and I know why we can’t have nice things.

8 Likes

Besides the device apparently having a lot of difficulties, if it was just set up so that I could put my own grounds in I would be for it.

But a subscription for coffee doesn’t make much sense to me. That’s kind of what I have going with the shop on the corner anyway.

1 Like