This small digital scale I like is on sale for $7.64

Book tip:

Not really.

Exactly. This is the difference between baking and other forms of cooking. Making a Tamil fish curry? Queen Anne Potatoes? A Bolognaise sauce? Not sure it’s going to ok? Taste it! Then you can adjust.

On the other hand, once your bread/ cake/ muffin/ clafoutis/ challah goes into the oven it’s locked in and not changing. Nothing you can do.

And that’s why I don’t enjoy baking as much as any other kind of cooking. If I can’t course-correct, I’m in serious trouble.

4 Likes

Some of these devices have coarse digitization on the last digit hence the variation on small weights. Depends how many bits the ADC is.
I’ve made a scale (from old balance parts and new electronics) that measures up to 2.5 kg in 0.01 g divisions (it has a 24 bit ADC (AD7714)) it cost more than $7.64.

1 Like

Absolutely. Baking to me in many ways often feels like I’m replicating a science experiment where a tiny bit too much (or too little) of something, or 30 seconds too long baking can spell the end of something delicate. Outside a commercial kitchen most folks aren’t going to repeatedly iterate to “get it right”, either. That’s why tools like this, and weighted recipies, are helpful. More variables controlled, fewer areas for measurement mistakes.

3 Likes

Scale Scam: I clicked on the link and bought the item, but when I received it I noticed it was a different scale and a different brand. When I checked the BoingBoing link, sure enough – I found they AGAIN have a link to a product that isn’t the one featured in the story – and the one they’re selling doesn’t work. That’s 3 for 3 – and a new total of $103 dumped in a landfill. Thanks again, BoingBoing.

Fact checkers apparently aren’t a thing in MediaLand anymore…

Distrust, but verify.

Huh? The link goes to the amazon page for the product.

Are you sure you don’t have something hijacking your amazon links and taking you to a malicious site or something?

I’ve copied the link directly from the BB story and dropped it into Amazon’s
link verifier. There’s no error or issue on my part. And if you’ve read the
other comments, you’ll see I’m not the only aggrieved reader here.

Check the brand name in Frauenfelder’s photos against the brand name in the
photos on the Amazon listing – they’re different. While the product I
received is different from both the scale Frauenfelder is touting and that in
the Amazon listing, the brand name in the Amazon listing is consistent with
the brand name on the product I received. In any case, the item I received is
nonfunctional trash – and it’s the third in a row for items I’ve purchased
through links on BoingBoing tied directly to staff writer product raves and
promos.

Yes, I should have examined the Amazon listing more closely than I did, but
BoingBoing needs to be a lot more diligent in their postings. This is stuff I
expect from Trump, not the people writing about him.

Received: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 02:29:09 AM EDT

Crap. Fair enough. The scale I have (and the one in the picture) is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Digital-Scale-sensitivity/dp/B0012LOQUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1503039003&sr=1-1&keywords=aws+scale

Interestingly, they have a similar scale, but with a 1KG capacity as well:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Digital-Pocket/dp/B002SC3LLS/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1503039003&sr=1-2&keywords=aws+scale

I’ve let Mark know of the listing error. My bet is he was bamboozled by the similar picture (as was I when I checked!). Thanks for letting us know.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.