This tiny cube backs up your entire phone everytime you charge it up

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/09/this-tiny-cube-backs-up-your-e.html

1 Like

So, it’s the exact opposite of a charging condom?

3 Likes

I got a good deal on those on Amazon today.

So - who has done a serious security analysis of these things? These remind me of those ads for “sticks” that “speed up your PC” or “do an automatic backup” . You’re expected to put some software-containing USB drive in a USB slot on the PC and run whatever software is on it. To get all the “benefits” that the company claims, of course, you’d have to enable autorun for those slots - one of the practices almost every security expert recommends that you not do.

2 Likes

Last time I plugged my iphone into a running computer to charge, it automatically backed up.

1 Like

Wait… did I get that right - no cloud involved?
There’s actually a useful backup system for mobile? It does create local backups containing actual data?
No way. I just don’t believe it.

#iphoneproblems #notallandroids

2 Likes

Nope. This is not a thing. You’re imagining things. This device backs your data up to an AI, who “learns” everything about you. In the future, you can buy a separate device to ask it questions about yourself, called the TOKK Smart Wearable Assistant.

1 Like

This sounds great in theory, but it doesn’t appear to exist yet. The manufacturer’s web page says “backordered” and is skimpy on details. There’s no manual to download. There’s no information about the Android app that would do the actual backup; it’s not a standard Android function and there’s nothing in the Google Play Store from Tokk. This distributor’s web page says “comes with free app” but that’s not how Android works. I can’t find a product review anywhere on the interwebz. Wake me up when the product ships.

1 Like

Awesome, yet another presumably non-encrypted hardware store of personal and private data that can be swept up in a robbery, grabbed by a cleaner, easily swept up in a warrant search or non-warrant search by the police, or otherwise lost control by the owner. In my opinion, pretty much any non-cloud based and non-encrypted solution for this is pretty out of date and just a bad idea, go ahead and change my view.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.