This Turkish ice cream looks like rubber and doesn't melt

Originally published at: This Turkish ice cream looks like rubber and doesn't melt | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’m not sure that it doesn’t melt exactly.

It’s tastes pretty much like regular ice cream, just with a slightly visco-elastic texture.

Also, buying the stuff is a bit fraught cos it usually involves a version of the three cup game, in public, with ice-cream cones…

9 Likes

If this is the “ice cream” used for the “here’s an empty cone” schtick I want nothing to do with it or the purveyors.

4 Likes

It’s an orchid root, specifically, and they’re quite small so it takes thousands to make a kilo of flour. Salep has been popular enough for long enough (since Roman times, at least) that the various drinks/puddings/ice cream made from it is driving the orchids to extinction and you can’t legally export salep from Turkey.

11 Likes

This little fella knows how to deal with those arseholes.

3 Likes

Ended with a nice cry in Mum’s arms. He’s never going to lives this down.

1 Like

It could be the base for the next viral challenge.

df20060530

4 Likes

I was thinking more about the digestive challenge. Doesn’t melt and it’s cold, so that’s not something I could bite or chew. :grimacing:

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

6 Likes

Brainslug

3 Likes

The goats milk is why this is the ideal ice cream to eat while standing in a tree.

1 Like

I’m worried that it would gum up the works on the way out. I’m afraid it might not pass - apologies to Bernie.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.