This TV commercial for Cherry Coke is peak 1980s

Originally published at: This TV commercial for Cherry Coke is peak 1980s | Boing Boing

5 Likes

22 Likes

Thanks for putting that earworm back in my head after about 30 years of blissful silence. unggggggg

15 Likes

No leg-warmers? Disappointed.

8 Likes

I, for one, am outraged anew.

6 Likes

In 1983, Tab Cola still had at least one foot firmly planted in the 70s:

One year later in 1984, Tab Cola finally decided to enter the 80s:

And who could forget this Pepsi gem from the meat of the 90s:

15 Likes

“Check it out and find out” would not inspire confidence today.

8 Likes

Now let’s go further back to a time when advertising copywriters earned their pay. Yeeesh! The dialog is like a novel!

14 Likes

I loved that.
“No matter who comes to call, or who happens to drop by.” Left unsaid: excluding diabetics…

5 Likes

Wow, that takes me back to sixth grade.

2 Likes

This comment deserves an award of some kind. Thank you for posting! Where can I see more of your curated juxtaposition of content that makes me feel like I’m walking through the Vatican Map Room, with all the universe laid out around me?

6 Likes

Is that from when the recipe still included cocaine?

4 Likes

I’ve never watched much commercial television and avoid ads, so I missed this at the time. Looking at it now, it seems as weird and dated as 1950s ads. I’m reminded of the post not so long ago about attempts to market to Gen X, and somehow I suspect nostalgic appeals won’t work because this shit is more likely to make us shake our heads than buy the product now.

4 Likes

Revolting disgusting sugar water shit. Yes I went there,

3 Likes

Where were you on the night of 22 November 1987?

6 Likes

i still like Cherry Coke (and Vanilla Coke). i will quibble that those are suspenders, and they were definitely in fashion when this commercial came out, but those are not Robin Williams’ “Mork” suspenders, which were wider and rainbows.

10 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, the “new ch-ch-ch-cherry Coke” part of that commercial has played in my head for (apparently) the last 35 years just about any time the phrase “cherry Coke” has been uttered in my presence. I knew from the moment I saw the still of this video what laid within.
That I still remember and repeat this to myself after 35 years, or that it feels “current” in my brain as though this was a recent ad campaign.

6 Likes

I LOVE this drain cleaner.
Sorry, wrong thread.

10 Likes

As my formerly communist aunt-in-law called it back in the day, “las aguas negras del imperialismo yanqui”

4 Likes

I could never taste enough cherry to think it made sense. At home I enjoy infusing it with chopped ginger, which after a day tastes amazeballs. I never understood why they didn’t make a ginger coke.

2 Likes