This unmasking of Mitt Romney's secret Twitter account should win the Pierrelitzer Prize

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/21/this-unmasking-of-mitt-romney.html

5 Likes

13 Likes

5 Likes

Pierre Delecto, brother of Corpus?

6 Likes

Where is this from?

2 Likes

Pathetic, as one would expect from Mitt. It will only be matched when numerous lame pseudonymous personal Twitter accounts of Il Douche himself are revealed. Based on what we know about him, they must exist.

8 Likes

Pierre Delecto
Carlos Danger
Ron Mexico

These almost make John Barron sound normal.

Hell, they almost make Donatella Nobody sound normal.

22 Likes

Oh Mittens, what would the world do with out you?

7 Likes

What’s pathetic about it? If I were a politician, I’d certainly want to have an anonymous “lurker” account on twitter. And the fact that after a while he started liking/replying to stuff just makes him human. It’s very, very hard to maintain true lurker discipline when you’ve got opinions. I know because I’ve tried and eventually gave up.

12 Likes

Over/under 50 as the number of Trump staff who have as part of their job duties a Twitter account dedicated to talking about how amazing and good looking Trump is?

7 Likes

It’s essentially a sock puppet account created to support his own official positions. And a half-hearted one at that.

I’m sure they’re also there (along with a bunch of Russian bots and tr0ll farm employees), but I would bet money on Cheeto Benito wasting his own time running several such accounts himself.

7 Likes

“Only approved followers can see @qaws9876’s Tweets.”

2 Likes

I would agree that ten tweets and 257 likes over eight years sounds much more like poor lurker discipline than even the slightest effort at sock-puppetry. This is a non-story.

I ponder what he might have done differently – aside from maintaining stricter discipline and not mentioning that he had a Twitter account at all. Would his account have eluded scrutiny if he had gone with a more obvious parody name, like “Ritt Momney”?

6 Likes

If he wanted to make a sock puppet account to support his own official positions, I’m pretty sure this isn’t the way he’d go about doing it.

This seems to be exactly what he says it is. He had an account with a silly name that, like millions of other twitter users, he mainly used for following the conversation, not trying to shape it. And occasionally he’d hit the “like” button on stuff he liked (a mix of official positions he supported and things that just amused him).

I find the story amusing, and there are plenty of other reasons to have a low opinion of Mitt Romney, but I don’t see how this is one of them. He wasn’t running the account as part of a political or propaganda campaign. He was just a guy using twitter in a normal, casual way, but under a pseudonym because he couldn’t use twitter casually under his own name

12 Likes

I don’t see how this is noteworthy in any way. The “sleuthing” was the most impressive part, and even that was pretty straightforward. Mr. Binders O’Women has a barely-maintained alt account. Yawn.

2 Likes

14 tweets is nothing. That is one bathroom session’s worth for the prez.

5 Likes

He spews tweets like shit from a goose.

4 Likes

I am counting on Mitt damaging Trump in the elections. Please.

please.

Don’t.

I am sure that’s exactly the half-baked way Romney would do it.

I’ll admit that I’m not on Twitter, though, so maybe one needs to create a minimally active sock puppet account to lurk there.

8 Likes

It’s the truth. You could substitute any Republican legislator or RNC member for Mitt in this photo and it would be accurate. There is nothing Republican about what’s happening right now. It’s the absolutely craven pandering for votes to stay in office, and it’s obvious that staying in office is the only objective. No legislative or political goals. Just gotta keep that seat and keep the power and benefits rolling in.

1 Like