This woman got mad that a restaurant doesn't serve dog meat so she read an angry script at steakhouse diners

Kuru is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder endemic to tribal regions of Papua New Guinea. […] It is now widely accepted that kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via funerary cannibalism.

6 Likes

We mostly eat herbivores, (apart from fish and perhaps wild hog) that’s why we don’t generally eat cats and dogs. So the delineation isn’t completely arbitrary.

2 Likes

I don’t really know what you’re talking about here.

Why should his post be any different?

2 Likes

But it is arbitrary. People in other parts of the world eat other animals. Eat rodents, eat omnivores, eat carnivores. We in the “west” have decided to eat only herbivore/fish. I think it has less to do with taste or “logical delineation” and more to do with what was easier to raise/control by the colonists. I dunno, it is interesting why we eat what we eat and what we thing we should or shouldn’t eat.

1 Like

Who’s the “his” in your comment? I’m very confused with what point you’re trying to get across here.

@popobawa4u said “Why do you assume that anyone is losing their shit?” But I didn’t assume anything; when I said something about someone losing their shit, it was about BB writers talking about how great a cast iron pan is to cook bacon, or whatever. It wasn’t in reference to @frauenfelder’s tone in this post.

I’ve never got a pro-vegan/vegetarian vibe from BB. And a post like this, which reads very critical in tone not just of the actions (rightly) but of the intent of the protesters reinforces that. And that surprises me for such a progressive site that less than a week ago was saying we should eliminate a company for polluting. If you don’t see the connection there, between environmental harm and eating meat, then I can’t really help you.

cough http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet

1 Like

Alternate Universe = Asia. I think Cambodia, Thailand, Mongolia at minimum eat some kinds of roasted or fried tarantulas.

1 Like

Pigs are omnivores, btw. Increasingly, we are learning that a lot of what we thought were herbivores are opportunistic meat eaters.

Do some googling around about deer, cows, sheep, etc. eating birds, roadkill. There’s actually youtube vids of placid whitetail deer eating baby birds out of the nest. Crazy stuff.

1 Like

If spiders taste as good as lobster, count me in.

4 Likes

I’m eating chocolate covered bacon in your snobby vegan/vegetarian honor.

2 Likes

I wasn’t the one asserting that “we” eat herbivores, that was @pixleshifter
I assert that the animals we eat vs. the ones we do not eat is completely arbitrary and makes no sense. :wink:

1 Like

4 Likes

There are the exceptions to the rules, yes, but those are the exceptions. I’d also argue that the majority of omnivores eaten are farmed rather than hunted, and raised on a vegetable diet. Parts of East Asia eat carnivores like cat, but those aren’t the median, so it’s not just ‘us in the West’. It also has to do with what was easier to raise/control by the colonists, insomuch as particular stock species is concerned. Herbivores are easier for most of the farm (commercial or family) world to raise, and work-and-companion animals are mostly off the menu.

I’m in the unenviable bind between two competing philosophies of believing that the only condition under which you should not eat meat is if you know the animal has been killed specifically for you to consume but that if you are truly a committed meat eater then you should have the willpower to go out into the wild and kill it for yourself. :shrug:

1 Like

Nah. It’s the cats that are playing us. Pretty sure the dogs are sincere about the whole deal.

2 Likes

ANd deny my 72 tomcats the pleasures of sex? Never!

4 Likes

Well, when I stick my finger in chimichurri, it makes my finger taste delicious, so I can see how long pig would be good like that (not that anything wouldn’t be delicious with chimichurri on it. Maybe toothpaste, I suppose).

4 Likes

You’d have to cut their throats or kill 'em with a captive bolt instead of injections though If’n you wanted them to be dinner.

11 Likes

If a Human ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about.