Thoughtful, devastating critique of Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life"

Word. So much so that someone’s already put together a performance art piece that critiques them.*

*Okay, not really.
Very energetic, this latest lot of beastie boys.

9 Likes

But I was lead to believe that all book reviews on this tome were beyond praise full to worshipful. Especially by academics.

"CONCLUSION

Peterson’s ideas are a mishmash of banal self-help, amateur philosophy, superfluous Christian mythology, evidence-free Jungian psychology, and toxic individualistic politics. Seek enlightenment elsewhere."

20 Likes

This exactly. I’m sick of reading about anything Peterson that is not a pipe.

6 Likes

I’ve been reading The Age of Empathy lately, which is a wonderful perspective from a biologist that discusses a broader look at humans beyond the poisonous “human eat human” ideology. It’s a great tonic to remove the bitter taste of this swill.

…biology is usually called upon to justify a society based on selfish principles, but we should never forget that it has also produced the glue that holds communities together.

10 Likes

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend giving EO Wilson a read, another biologist who writes extensively on empathy.

4 Likes

EO Wilson is one of my favorites - thanks for giving him due credit here for his work. He is mentioned in Age of Empathy, too.

4 Likes

BroDudes get upset when no one comes to change their diapers.

15 Likes

Okay, I’ve read the whole TLS piece that Cory excerpted (it’s not all that long), and I have to say, it’s . . . sobering. It spend a lot more time that Cory gives it credit for drawing out the parallels between the content of Peterson’s advice book and the kinds of feelings, thoughts and ideas expressed by so many mass killers.

I think the TLS piece demonstrates why we should take Peterson – or rather, his popularity – seriously: because he’s providing a lot of rage fuel for a lot of potentially dangerous men.

30 Likes

Hey you!! :wave:

What kind of waves is Peterson making in Canada? Is he suddenly all over the media there too? I hope he’s at least getting more pushback?

So much of what Peterson says reminds me of high school cliquiness: being on top, winning/losing, feeling important in the eyes of peers --it’s a very stunted view of life. It also reminds me of those bumper stickers that say “the one who dies with the most toys, wins.” No. You didn’t win anything, you spent your life buying crap you didn’t need thinking it would give you meaning, and when you’re dead you’re dead. You can only win or lose if you play the game.

But if life is a game then winning or losing isn’t about scoring points (since everyone has their own idea of what “points” are), it’s about enjoying the game play itself; I have no qualms about losing chess to a grandmaster if the game itself was really interesting and entertaining, nor do I have to be a grandmaster to feel like my life has value.

18 Likes

Seconded with an amendment to include the best Peterson of all time:

Norm Peterson

16 Likes

Right?
It’s not like it’s a slow news day, or anything; there’s plenty of other incendiary fuckery going on to discuss…

14 Likes

And its all wrong!
All these biological “truths” that he holds dear are literally just habit!

Take Baboons.
https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10024830546

@milliefink - oh yeah, he’s making waves like fucking mad. Especially after that Munk “debate”. ugh…
I’d apologize on behalf of Canada, but he’s from Alberta, so.

25 Likes

OK, The US will take Justin Bieber off your hands provided you exile Jordan Peterson to a shack in the Yukon with no internet access, surrounded by bears .

16 Likes

Yep. That "stimulating & original new web magazine” is insidious. Like Peterson, it tarts up reactionary ideas with stylish, multisyllabic writing, trying to make them sound legitimate. It’s warmed-over, William F. Buckley-style pretension.

16 Likes

Nah. If he’s so capable, he can build his own shack.

But why do you want to give bears indigestion?

14 Likes

Good point. Bears do not deserve that kind of cruel treatment.

13 Likes

suggest you read David Frenchs Piece in the Heritage, but you may need a clinical Psy to put you back together, I would suggest JP.

2 Likes

And thank you for the addition to my summer reading list!

5 Likes

Huh. for some reason my post about the wiki page disappeared…

2 Likes