Thoughts and Prayers: a Congressional mass-shooting simulator

Yup. I’d say the most authentic actual Christian text out there , as opposed to paulo-fascist, (which is a really great coinage, by the way.), that they haven’t managed to burn, is the Gospel of Thomas. They tried their best to purge that shit at the council of Nicaea, but somehow a copy survived. Only enough of the Gospel of the Magdalen survived to let us know that it once existed.

4 Likes

The same forces that the Gnostics called Archons or servants of Ialdabaoth.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I didn’t think of it first. I wouldn’t want to claim the credit, though I agree, it’s a pretty accurate description of both Ultra catholics and many Protestant fundies.

1 Like

This is an interesting idea; maybe we should start a thread about it? :wink:

3 Likes

Eh please don’t. At least not unless you limit it to politicians only.

I realize what you are trying to do, but I imagine that Twitter, like real life, is mostly real people responding to every day life. So the vast majority of those #thoughtsandprayers is going to be people attempting to express sympathy to others. Like a cancer diagnosis, a loved one dying, or a sick or hurt child.

And that verse isn’t really what it meant for when someone expresses someone is in their thoughts and prayers. That just means that person means something to them and even though they can’t really DO anything, they can let them know, “Hey, you’re important to me and I think about you.” and if they are religious and apt to pray, they will send one their way.

4 Likes

When the congressthings come around for election support, clearly our answer should be “my thoughts and prayers are with you, but not my votes or money, until something is done.”

3 Likes

Fair enough, but

seems to be a fairly common point of view on boingboing as well.

Your experience and mine would seem to be at variance. The general opinion on boingboing seems to tend more to Dante’s observation in Purgatorio:

“Onde convenne legge per fren porre;

Le leggi son, ma chi pon mano ad esse?
Nullo…”

loosely
Thus the law was set up as a curb (…on human nature)

The laws exist, but who enforces them? Nobody…

I had a brief thought. What if everyone who offered thoughts and prayers, or a moment of silence vowed to DO one thing to address the issue instead? But then I read the internet, looked at my family members (thanks, facebook), shuddered, and then decided thoughts and prayers aren’t so bad after all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.