Thousands of Dutch vow to throw rotten eggs at Jeff Bezos’ superyacht

That was the first time it was rebuilt. It was then used for freight rail for about 50 years, fell into disrepair and was decommissioned in 1993, was on the verge of being torn down, but was refurbished in 2017. The analogy to the Statue of Liberty is not a very good one, at all.

In fact, the original bridge (yep, this one is a replacement!) was removed in 1927. Why, you ask? Because it was an obstacle to ships passing through and was damaged when it was struck by a German boat. Funny how things come full circle eh?

So, this is really just a bunch of rabble rousing, and much ado about nothing, unless taxpayers have to pay for it. THAT would be the real issue to be up in arms about. Not the temporary removal and subsequent re-installation of this center span (they are not going to dismantle the whole thing.)

As you know, since you know everything about De Hef, the city council promised in 2017 that it would never be dismantled ever again.

ETA: Ahmed Aboutaleb has been mayor since 2009, so he can’t weasel out by saying that it was before his time.

11 Likes

As @Otherbrother posted above, it’s about time for the rabble to be roused!

alfred hitchcock workout GIF

10 Likes

8 Likes

Agreed, though it it seems that ship might have already sailed [pun intended]

ooohhhhh, well if a City Council promised something then surely, it must be written in stone! The kind the Ten Commandments is written on!

Those silly Dutch people holding the council to its word! How naive!

9 Likes

Don’t they realize that by holding their own elected officials to the public promises made to local citizens they could be creating mild inconvenience for a foreign billionaire’s vanity project??

10 Likes

Yes, and the reason this decommissioned piece of industrial architecture was refurbished in 2017 was precisely because of its symbolic nature. Although fine, the Statue of Liberty isn’t a perfect analogy. Given the city’s history a better analogy would be the Genbaku Dome.

9 Likes

16 Likes

You got that covered. :star_struck:

A country that has a national healthcare plan, old age pension, unemployment insurance etc. is hardly a “welfare state”. It’s a functional modern country with a proper social safety net for its citizens.

8 Likes

Not really an apt comparison either, and frankly a bit disgusting to me comparing the site of a nuclear holocaust to a freight bridge. almost as offensive as, say, comparing mask mandates to the Shoa. But what do I know.

City Councils make stupid short sighted and untenable promises all the time. The smart non knee jerk populist thing, again, would be to use this as an opportunity to hit up Bezos for more money and more jobs for the municipality. A “leaving town tax” as Mayor Quimby would call it.

A bridge that represents resistance against the Nazis that firebombed the city to rubble is a bad comparison to Hiroshima? WTF are you on about? That’s almost a perfect comparison! How are you coming up with that being offensive?

12 Likes

Is it so difficult to understand that some locals would be offended by the idea that the integrity of their historic landmark would be for sale at ALL, regardless of how much Bezos pays to move his symbol of absolutely obscene wealth and self-indulgence through their waterway?

14 Likes

In my opinion, since Bezos and his builders were foolish enough to build his yacht too tall for the bridge, it’s his responsibility to modify his boat for the passage and not the other way around. It’s not like he’s lacking the funds to make whatever modifications he needs, and reverse them once he gets wherever he’s going.

14 Likes

Call Jeff, I’m sure he’ll appreciate the support, what with that bridge soon to not have any.

8 Likes

Yeah, no two bombed cities are exactly the same but it’s hard to deny a certain resemblance. But whatever. Having any sensitivity about this is apparently akin to being an anti-masker.

7 Likes

If I were good-natured, I would say it was a case of posting before reading. However,

Im Not Aubrey Plaza GIF by Team Coco

7 Likes