Threatening NPR again, Musk reminds us he owns Twitter and to use it at your own risk

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

There is a lot we can say about that being a fact, but it is the case. It tells us a lot about our current media/news landscape that most certainly needs attention and discussion.

9 Likes

And also,

6 Likes

Twitter and Elon has done a great job of reminding people that you can’t trust these feeds. They are designed to keep you engaged and not to be honest.

5 Likes

The should just do a daily post that says:

“Mandatory daily post on Twitter to prevent username reassignment #0001.”

6 Likes

I think @orenwolf also said something along the lines that Twitter embeds here are cached on Discourse, so we don’t have to worry about viewing them on BB boosting Twitter traffic.

Of course, if you click through, that’s on you. :grimacing:

8 Likes

Yep, same here. I abandoned my Twitter account about a year ago, but didn’t delete it because I wanted to save my username. Never logged in since, but my account is still there. If such a rule really exists, it certainly isn’t enforced unless Musk doesn’t like you.

9 Likes

Similar to how Megan Amram tweeted daily, “Today was the day Donald Trump finally became president,” NPR should keep their account active by daily tweeting,

“Today was the day Elon Musk finally became chief twit”.

8 Likes

Or perhaps “NPR® will defend our trademarks to the full extent of national and international trademark law.”

6 Likes

Maybe I’m being too optimistic here, but how about “#001

How messed up could Twitter be to still be around in 2026?

2 Likes
6 Likes

I’ve got several Twitter accounts I made for various purposes, starting with the original one which dates from 2007 and has been used about 2 times. I haven’t actually checked if any of them have been suspended – perhaps I ought to.

In the meantime, here’s a ribald aside – “If you don’t use the platform the way CEO and owner-aboard Elon Musk wants, he will toss you off…” – sounds quite the promise if you are familiar with the British slang meaning of the phrase to toss off.

Or perhaps a threat?

6 Likes

As a British person, I’m reasonably confident that “toss you off” can only mean throwing you overboard.

4 Likes

They have been waiting for this moment.

4 Likes

No-one is safe off Twiddle either, if the boss is using identity theft against the latest additions to his Enemies List

5 Likes

Either way, you get a happy ending.

2 Likes

Right - this nothing but a straight-up threat, that if big accounts leave Twitter*, they’ll be impersonated, but they’re not safe if they stay on Twitter either, so…

*Which he absolutely can’t afford for them to do, because the site is toast if all the accounts producing the, you know, content leave - but he’s also made it impossible for them to stay. Impersonation, giving priority to blue check mark accounts in replies (so that, for any tweet that gets a lot of attention, you have to wade through a mile of sewage before you get to the decent replies).

5 Likes

It’s not federated or decentralized yet, that’s just aspirational. I’ll be a little more impressed when it actually gets off the ground.

4 Likes

I deleted Twitter from my phone. One day after receiving my first Twat from Elon Musk, Twitter suspended my account. Made that decision very easy for me. I had been holding on to it for the @JoeBiden twats but I felt insulted by Twitter for first telling me my account was hijacked which I supposedly fixed by using my Google login, then letting Elon Twat at me, and then suspending my account.

Since they knew obviously knew my account was hijacked why suspend my account? I don’t have time for Musky games.

PS: I think it may have been because I never gave a like to his twat on my timeline. Heck, I didn’t even read it.

7 Likes

That trademark seems to be owned by a few different entities. Aside from National Public Radio, the Tosoh Corporation owns it as it relates to “Laboratory apparatus and instruments, namely, chromatography columns for use in purification in the laboratory.” There’s Nippon Piston Ring, which someone else has noted. There’s also an NPR Healthcare, unrelated to public radio, which has registered that mark. Northern Pacific Rail could make the case for using it, as could a few others.

So . . . :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.