Three minute explainer of the Brexit paradox

So if Northern Ireland leaves the UK, that would be. . . “Nixit”?

5 Likes

I’m just glad the US has never done anything this stupid.

/s

3 Likes

Okay, but how come? (Not being cheeky, genuinely curious.)

1 Like

Because it implies British ownership of or dominion over the entire archipelago, when most of one the two major islands is an entirely independent country.

8 Likes

If you just extrapolate deaths and people becoming 18 (with 18 year olds assumed to vote the way 18-year-olds voted) the UK turned remain a couple of months ago. Now that math isn’t valid, but it gives some sense of how much the referendum was the old dragging the young out with them.

5 Likes

But I wouldn’t suggest ever actually using “British Isles” or “British Islands”.

If you get stuck on any of the places, just call it “the Puddings”. That’s safest.

8 Likes

Because nationalism.

1 Like

Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought Guernsey and Jersey would have been included in the term “British Isles” (being geographically part of France), but a quick Googles suggest they often (usually?) are.

1 Like

The one from Samantha Bee’s show is longer at 7 minutes, but pretty good:

4 Likes

Some of them never stopped. Neighbors of an uncle were arrested a few years back in the Midlands with an RPG, bomb materials, and many guns . Apparently holding them for associates up North.

A hard border in NI is bad.

4 Likes

David Camaron has a lot to answer for. He started this whole mess then skipped away leaving it in the hands of a souless Maybot, who can only run one program, and can only output one result… my deal or no deal. The only silver lining to all this is could finally mean the end for the tories. We can only hope.

4 Likes
4 Likes

In this case it’s less that those who don’t remember history are doomed to repeat it, and more that there are a few who do remember history and who are eager to repeat it.

10 Likes

There’s far too many of them buggers all over the place.*
So much inherited stupidity.

*Applies internationally.

5 Likes

It’s more that it’s not history over there. The violence has been tempered since the 80’s but the sectarian groups never went away. They more turned to profiteering and political gamesmanship. Apparently drug smuggling, human trafficking, and arms dealing for the most part.

So for example the small heavily pro Brexit party that’s propping up May’s coalition government is the DUP. It’s a Unionist Northern Irish party founded by Ian Paisley. A truly nasty, hateful man who had near direct control of the most violent Unionist militias. Including likely ordering robberies, and murders.

The DUP has long been the political front for remaining Unionist terror groups, sort of like the opposite number of Sinn Fein.

And what’s a great way to forever tie Northern Ireland to the UK, blowing up the potential for reunification, and undoing a century’s worth of treaties and peace accords that undermine the Unionist position? Brexit. Especially hard Brexit.

4 Likes

Some of them are already making IEDs again.

This is a clusterfuck I really can’t fathom. At all. Language leaves me there.

Just three years ago, I even applied for jobs in the UK and thought it would be nice to move there. Now, I wouldn’t even if I got a job offer with 100k £/a.

7 Likes

It is, of course, worse than that. He went into the 2015 election not expecting to get a majority and having to negotiate a coalition deal with the LibDems again. And the first thing they would have ditched would have been the referendum promise.
Except that (a) the LibDems were always going to be punished for being seen as “Tory-lite enablers” and (b) the Tories skirted the very edge of election law (breaking it in some places) to hammer the few LibDem seats that were likely to stay that way and not swing back to the Tories.
The result was that Cameron won a majority, and was stuck with a referendum promise that he was always going to be held to by the Brextremists.
His subsequent handling of the whole debaclé would normally now be considered an object lesson in how not to do something, were it not for the last two-and-a-half years of gross incompetence by Theresa May which makes Cameron’s uselessness look positively amateur.

13 Likes

One gets the impression that the ‘leadership’ is divided between astonishingly myopic knife fighting, gleefully watching the world burn; and exalting in the freedom from obligation toward purposeful action only truly understood by those in situations too pear shaped to be remedied by purposeful action.

The trouble is that everyone else is coming along for the ride; rather than the episode being some sort of ethically questionable experiment in an institutional environment for the care and containment of the political class.

6 Likes

I think it is maybe time for Parliament to take a 6 week recess, isn’t it; and hope that it all goes away?

2 Likes

You’ll be able to get jobs at £100k pa; but that will be something like “street cleaner” or “toilet licker” after the pound collapses against every even half way stable currency, and we sink in to super-duper-hyper-inflation.

7 Likes