Three of Spencer's neo-Nazi supporters arrested after shooting wildly at bus-goers

2 Likes

Yes - the American Bund had long historic ties to Germany

13 Likes

Colton Haynes was pretty good on Arrow as Speedy Mark I

2 Likes

via VOX

19 Likes

I’ve seen it argued recently that Nazis weren’t white supremacists since they killed Slavs and Jews. Possibly a perfect illustration of race being a social construct.

4 Likes

On the other hand, we do outnumber them.

13 Likes

4 Likes

…and the German fascists were heavily inspired by American white supremacy.

Ain’t no clean hands here.

9 Likes

Redneck Revolt does some similar work.

It’s a nice idea and an honourable pursuit, but those are peacetime tactics. They’re good for keeping a limited, contained fascist problem under control. They aren’t appropriate or effective when the fascists control the state.

10 Likes

The only thing we have to fear is the Fears themselves.

2 Likes

I’m sorry he didn’t make it out of the war alive. But yeah, it pisses me off too. And that generation is dying out now, so it allows assholes like this to abstract it out even more.

9 Likes

Ohhh, I goota admit, I wouldn’t mind seeing this. Sort of the inverse of…

1 Like

Just to clarify: SwastikaShirtDouche was one of the three who shot up the bus stop, or no?

I don’t think he was, but some of this thread is getting a little vague on that.

1 Like

It’s important to note that this is the new SOP, folks, for the nazis and their sympathizers, as Boingboing pointed out, recently.

Taking a chapter straight out of “Totalitarianism for Dummies” - whenever the actions of your group reflect poorly upon you…you must rewrite such historical events as a cunning “conspiracy” committed by your enemies, instead. Hitler, Stalin, etc. would be proud, which is probably the point.

9 Likes

This, I agree with. But I also feel we’re not at that tipping point yet and therefore the mission of groups like Life After Hate is, for now, productive and worthwhile.

5 Likes

Editrix_Steph, I get what you’re saying. However, for a self-described “Language enthusiast”, you’re kind of coming at me with a completely self-fabricated/imagined grievance based on a rather poor and unflattering misinterpretation of what I wrote. Read my words again. I’ll wait. Go ahead.

Nothing in what I said advocates for anyone to emulate the video. I certainly do not advocate that anyone run up to someone else (regardless of race, gender, or hate-group affiliation) and violate that person’s body autonomy with this sort of demonstration.

If that’s what you took as the implication of my words, I’m sorry for that confusion. I could have been more clear, and I probably should have been so. I was not attempting to imply that, and it would have been perhaps a bit kinder for you to ask me if that was what I meant to imply, instead of jumping straight there and taking self-righteous umbrage.

My intention was to convey that not punching people is a good thing. Can we agree on that, at least? The whole not-punching people? I wanted to support the idea that perhaps there are other ways to engage with hate which might produce better results. My #DoingItRight tag was addressed to the user who posted the video (Akimbo_NOT), who I felt was approaching this discussion with a positive and beneficial mindset, instead of joining the “yeah, let’s get on the punching-nazis bandwagon and feed the cycle of hate and retribution because it feels good!”.

7 Likes

Truth. I didn’t mean to imply for anyone to perform this kind of thing. I was supporting the idea that the original video poster (Akimbo_NOT) seemed to be advocating, which was (perhaps) “maybe there are better ways to engage hate-group members than by punching them.” To be clear, I do not advocate that anyone, regardless of race, gender, or hate-group (non)affiliation violate someone else’s body autonomy with this sort of display, or any other. That’s never ok, and you’re right, probably a great way to get stabbed.

4 Likes

No - not to my knowledge

Yep. That was my point to our friend, the commenter from Germany.

4 Likes

Frankly, it all depends upon the people, and their behavior.

18 Likes