Three-year-old boy plucked from inside a Hello Kitty claw machine (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/01/trapped-in-claw-machine.html

4 Likes

he has it all

15 Likes

Figures. When the police retrieve something from the claw machine that way they are lauded as heroes, but when I do it I’m “banned from this pizza establishment for life.”

(But seriously: why didn’t they just get an employee to find the key to open the machine? That’s how they put the toys in there in the first place!)

33 Likes

My guess would be that the machine is owned and operated by a third party and the establishment doesn’t have the key. Caveat: read summary, didn’t watch video

11 Likes

Come on, we’re all thinking this: The parents should have had to feed tokens into the machine and practice grabbing their kid with the claw until successful. It is the only way the kid and parents will learn their lesson.

19 Likes

Let’s just be grateful that this happened in Australia. American cops most likely would have shot out the glass in that situation.

15 Likes

12 Likes

Came for this!

8 Likes

so, he climbed in?

1 Like

Come on, who goes to the trouble of smashing the machine open, only to choose the kid? Get two kitty plushies while you’ve got the chance.

13 Likes

Well hello, Kiddie!

5 Likes

I am an arcade tech, had this happen at one of the locations I deal with…it wasn’t the child’s idea, it was the parents encouraging him and helping him get in. They had to push the door hard enough to break off a stopper to help prevent this. And then several other sensors were broken on his way up. LUCKILY, the location did have a copy of the key and could get him out within a minute.

21 Likes

Following his rescue, Ethan was invited to select his favorite prize.

It’s only crazy if it doesn’t work.

7 Likes

Namco

20 Likes

I hate those claw machines. You know it’s rigged so that the claw never has enough strength to pick up the Richard Ayoade.

(Edit: corrected for the right actor)

13 Likes

That’s not Jemaine Clement, it’s Richard Ayoade.

Jemaine Clement is the Claw.

12 Likes

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF

6 Likes

This really ticks me off. It’s teaching him that it pays to cheat. He’s going to have quite the life.

4 Likes

It’s a three-year-old. It’s not like police gave a burglar a free gold bar after he got himself trapped inside Fort Knox.

11 Likes

Needs more /s.

2 Likes