Tig Notaro flaunts her ignorance of pop culture and celebrity in new Funny or Die series

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/23/tig-notaro-flaunts-her-ignoran.html

5 Likes

Tig Notaro doesn’t watch a lot of TV or films and doesn’t really keep up with popular culture.

At first glance, it seems like that would make it exceedingly difficult to be a comedienne (or, indeed a comedian … wait, are we still gendering job titles?)

3 Likes

She was just a tad flat in Star Trek Discovery, but I love her more each time I see her!

2 Likes

If you get the opportunity, her series One Mississippi is really worth watching!

8 Likes

Tig is a very funny, smart person.

It’s kinda weird that they’ve decided to make a career out of ignorance, of all things.

3 Likes

In her defense I didn’t know who James Vanderbeek was either…

but I love how Wyclef did some bars of Fugee stuff, and somehow she knew. Tig doesnt appear like someone who listens to The Fugees, but in Wyclef’s defense, they were The Fugees…so iconic everyones heard em

4 Likes

It’s a brag that’s awkward to top.

“I don’t know far more people than she doesn’t know.”

4 Likes

I could probably give it a go.

1 Like

I am proud of my ignorance re pop culture.

3 Likes

I hope, at some point, they have Taylor Dayne on the show. It would just bring everything full circle.

6 Likes

Wait, should I know who Tig Notaro is? I mean, I don’t actually live under a rock, but…

OK, maybe I do live under a rock. Should I ask this Tig person out? I feel like we could get along.

5 Likes

I still don’t.

2 Likes

Julie Bowen?

Tig… I think I like her a lot.
I mean… she seems very likable.

This though seems like an ad for Alexa.

3 Likes

please, it’s comedatrix. or was it comedess?

3 Likes

Is it still entertaining if you’re in the exact same position as Tig Notaro and have no idea who most celebrities are (including Tig Notaro)?

3 Likes

I had to look him up. Of the many, many shows he’s apparently been on, I’ve seen not a single one of them. At least half the shows I’ve never even heard of. A few seem like jokes. (“CSI: Cyber”? Really?)

A comedy-person doesn’t have to talk about pop culture, though… there are other subjects.

3 Likes

Of course. It’s just that the way it’s written up makes it sound like she’s all but cut herself off from society.

I’m curious how the production team knows who to invite. How can they be sure she won’t know the person without actually asking her? Do they just show her a photo board and say “cross out the people you recognize”?

3 Likes

I really enjoyed her part on DISCO. I can see what you mean about her delivery, but I thought it was just great fun to see a salty character like “Jett” Reno (of course, former chief engineer James Doohan wasn’t a great actor either, but became his own icon).

2 Likes