Tig Notaro flaunts her ignorance of pop culture and celebrity in new Funny or Die series

I Don’t Own a Television: The Show.

4 Likes

I’ve loved Tig’s work since her Comedy Central Presents introduced her stand up to me, and this is a really great concept for a comedy interview show - at least a great shake up on the interviewer putting on a character comedic interview show.

1 Like

I’ve decided I don’t care very much about popular culture anymore. I tend my own garden, as Voltaire might say. I get to hear a lot of current pop music being played over the speakers at the gym and don’t care about it. Even the “cool” stuff people try to hip me to I find lackluster. An old school hip-hop producer I know said several years ago “there’s maybe only one rap song a year that I like now”, and probably by now he’s down to zero.

You kids can get off my lawn any time now.

4 Likes

In a possible meta-case, I didn’t know who Tig Notaro was until this article.

Hey, I’m from the UK…

3 Likes

Tig has a great funny bone.

1 Like

Laugh Doll.

2 Likes

I must be living under a rock too, because I couldn’t tell you what about any of the three celebrities mentioned.

1 Like

And yet at least half the comments here are trying to do just that, because sometimes it’s cool to be ignorant :slight_smile:

That’s the only show I know her from, but I’m guessing she’s somewhat similar to the character she plays in which case I’m all for her.
That said, I found it odd that her character (“Jett Reno”) had a much less ‘Star Trek’ name than she does in real life, even though normally when a comic is playing a character, they often keep their stage name as the name of the character (eg, Seinfeld)

1 Like

Middle age ignorance is funny ignorance.

1 Like

Wyclef Jean (Fugees):

3 Likes

Somehow a few years ago Tig Notaro ended up on a stage with Weird Al, giving live commentary of a screening of “UHF.” Sounds great! Except that, as she admitted, Tig had not actually ever seen the film. Nor did she know anything about it.

As you might expect, she was… pretty terrible at talking about UHF and asking Al questions about it. Such a wasted opportunity! How did she end up agreeing to this job? Her lack of preparation strikes me as unprofessional. Even I could have done better than her, and I’m not even a superfan of the movie.

And now she wants to parlay this ignorance as a positive aspect of her character. Well good luck with that…

2 Likes

Yeah, but “Seinfeld” was a rubbish name for a Klingon though :wink:

That was the only one I recognised. He used to be that chap who wouldn’t shut up during those Lauryn Hill tracks back when she was in that cover band.

aka Marvel’s Agents of Starfleet. :wink:

Yup! He went from being the talentless member of the Fugees (which did a lot more than cover Killing Me Softly) to creating a fake Hatian relief charity while running a discredited campaign for the president of Haiti. He’s a class act all around, really.

2 Likes

Tig Notaro is a Grammy-winning comic whose comedy is drawn from real life, including cancer diagnosis, double mastectomy, love life/lack thereof, chronic illness, poverty, gender, family, & childhood trauma. If you read the wonderful memoir I’m Just A Person you will understand why Tig might not have attention to spare for pop TV shows. Too busy surviving & writing jokes.

5 Likes

That’s what The Marvelous Mrs Maisel was about, right?

1 Like

The new generation of hermit-comedians are hilarious.

Many of the celebrities she cannot recognize are musicians and movie stars from the past two decades or so. The kind of people it’d seem difficult to be ignorant about if one, I dunno, works in Hollywood.

Does she count as working in Hollywood though? And from the show she seems to recognize the names of things as she guesses them later - even immediately recognizing The Fugees from the lyrics of Gone Til November. The show’s charm is that she can’t recognize people on site and has to work through it with clues.