Tiger Woods hospitalized after a roll-over car accident in Los Angeles

Yeah, a curvy road that people go too fast on is a good way to end up in a ditch/down a hill. There is a stretch like that on the way to my kids house, only there isn’t a large hill, but ditch and trees. But you see the < < < < signs taken out several times during the year.

Too fast, curvy road, moment of distraction, it can happen to anyone.

2 Likes

I’ve driven that stretch of Hawthorne Blvd a number of times. It’s a pretty wide road. Couldn’t tell if that was past the crest of the hill, there is a fairly steep downward slope going north, and I recall there being a runaway truck pit in case a semi loses its brakes going down the hill. At one point, there’s a fairly spectacular view of the LA basin on that drive.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I’m also pretty familiar with that road. It’s a wide 45 mph zone, and it has a downward the downhill curve. I never found this section to be a challenging drive if one is going the speed limit. (I don’t speed anywhere on the greater PV peninsula because I’m fearful of a speed trap.)

The sheriff deputy who was first on the scene says he has cited someone going 85 mph. I’m guessing that Tiger was late for any appointment and was driving too fast.

2 Likes

I grew up near this area, and have driven this exact stretch numerous times as one of my friends lived in the housing right off Blackhorse.

It’s a straight drive with a slight curve at that point. It’s steep, and people regularly exceed the posted limit. There’s even one of those gravel “runaway truck” gravel lanes a bit further down the hill.

That being said, I have no idea how you’d randomly jump the divider and head across opposing traffic in that area unless you absolutely weren’t paying attention to the gradual curve, or unless something startled/distracted you.

Found a pretty good graphic of the area:

4 Likes

I was just reading that this was indeed the situation, and he almost hit the car of a TV show director who was with his crew shooting at the hotel Tiger was leaving from, minutes before getting into this accident.

We’ll see if it’s borne out in additional reporting, but you know, something tells me that maybe just maybe, Tiger Woods was driving like a complete asshole.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.