TigerVPN was simple to set up

Yes. See also this article, under the “VPN” subhead: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/04/heres-how-protect-your-privacy-your-internet-service-provider

Hope I don’t get slammed for my brand-new membership here but I have to report that the Macintosh app requires quite new versions of MacOSX (the ones nobody likes, LOL). I use 10.8.5 at the newest. I think I’m going to have to get a refund.

Also, I am retroactively curious about the difference between “nodes” (the advertised function: 15 offered) and “connections” (what you see after joining: two available). Does two users mean only two family members can be online at a time? Or say, only one cellphone and the home network simultaneously?

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

:disappointed:

Don’t worry, indeed the lowest v3 goes is 10.11. We wanted to utilize specific features that would not run well OSX around and before 2012

Alternatively you could do v1.1 which would run but missing some neat features or a manual configuration. However we want you to be happy so if this isn’t working for you we will accept (sadly but ok)

Just a heads up - the 15 nodes are the server locations you can access and 2 connections meant that you can run 2 concurrent vpn connections simultaneously … E.g iPad connected to NYC and Mac connected to Amsterdam at the very same time. Or both at the same node (whatever you feel like). And for those who need more - do some Karma Tasks in your dashboard and get a free or two connections on top :wink:

Especially since its darn near impossible to even agree what those last words mean.

Your point seems to be “if we didn’t allow ourselves a loophole to to terminate the deal, or to make a profit from you some other way, we couldn’t possibly afford a ‘lifetime deal’.”

Only with more winky-faces. :wink:

My reply is: why offer lifetime deals then? Your post has excellent, honest explanations for why “lifetime deals” don’t make any sense. You’re basically admitting that this can’t possibly be a lifetime deal. So why pretend it is? Why not be honest and only provide monthly or yearly deals?

This is the whole argument against falsely selling “lifetime deals,” and just saying (as @jlw does) “well, it’s worth it even if it’s two years” doesn’t cut it. It may not even last two years, as I have found in the past.

If I buy a two-year contract, I have some rights if you try to cut and run in six months. If I buy a “lifetime deal,” and give you the right to unilaterally change the terms, then I have no say at all when you stop providing a service in six months.

For now I see no reason to stick with my pay-an-honest-amount-per-year Private Internet Access account, rather than something that has T&C’s to allow itself to cut me off, and who even explains (honestly) here in the comments why they have to be that way.

4 Likes

3 Likes

3 months. It is a 5 year deal, with the chance at their option to become more. Post is clear on that.

1 Like

It’s good but it should be noted: not such a great deal if you’re outside the US & Europe - it’s only after I bought it that I noticed you couldn’t choose the 15 nodes in the package, and none are in South America. The result, if you happen to be there, is a slower experience, and Customer Support is generally unhelpful, saying no as policy before fully understanding questions (such as “how much would I have to pay to add South American nodes to my contract”).

Still a great deal so long as your “liifetime” is longer than a DNC leaker’s, but not for just any continent.

1 Like

Hi there :clap:

Just a quick correction… you “can” use any location of the 15 in your package but you cannot select them yourself.
True we don’t have South America in the lifetime plan as running this VPN node cost us 2000% more than those in this plan which is the reason why those nodes are the ones included.

It’s mentioned in both the deal description and also in specs.

We’d love to customize plans but our aim is to have a standard product to manage rather than 63x63 individual combinations. Because that would be the amount of individual plans we would have to manage if you would have A+B and your friend would want nodes D+Z if you understand us.

Side note - as mentioned above, the nodes included in our regular plans (which are monthy payments starting at 11.99$ per MONTH) which allow us to pay of sever locations where the Megabit price is obscenely high. To unlock this location we’d have to charge you close to 1000€ which is exactly the reason why the support had to disappoint you.

Sorry for this :pensive: we hope it shares some light on the plan and their limits.m

Btw if you want to read more about this - great article https://blog.cloudflare.com/the-relative-cost-of-bandwidth-around-the-world/amp/

To quote them directly

Latin America

Latin America is CloudFlare’s newest region. When we opened our first data center in Valparaíso, Chile, we delivered 100 percent of our traffic over transit, which you can see from the graph above. To peer traffic in Latin America you need to either be in a “carrier neutral” data center — which means multiple network operators come together in a single building where they can directly plug into each other’s routers — or you need to be able to reach an Internet exchange. Both are in short supply in much of Latin America.

The country with the most robust peering ecosystem is Brazil, which also happens to be the largest country and largest source of traffic in the region. You can see that as we brought our São Paulo, Brazil data center online about two months ago we increased our peering in the region significantly. We’ve also worked out special arrangements with ISPs in Latin America to set up facilities directly in their data centers and peer with their networks, which is what we did in Medellín, Colombia.

While today our peering ratio in Latin America is the best of anywhere in the world at approximately 60 percent, the region’s transit pricing is 8x ($80/Mbps) the benchmark of North America and Europe. That means the effective bandwidth pricing in the region is $32/Mbps, or approximately the same as Asia.

1 Like

Quick clarification to tigerVPN’s correction: I wrote

you couldn’t choose the 15 nodes in the package

In other words: At purchase or setup time, you cannot select which 15 from among 63 available nodes will comprise your package.

& they fire back:

Just a quick correction.
You CAN use any location of the 15 in your package.

It should be noted that there’s a $20 upgrade offered that adds more nodes to the lifetime package, but the nodes there are another package that’s nicely geographically dispersed but very similar to the first, without any of the south-american nodes included. The remark about CloudFlare’s Valparaíso colo says a lot about why this is the case.

In any case, in testing I find that there is a 2 or 3 minute startup speed ramp, and then over these long distances the VPN speed is pretty good: 190ms latency w 20ms jitter is not great, but 30.18Mbps down & 2.61Mbps up is very good given that my ADSL gives me 40/5 bareback. It just took an hour of going through several combinations & testing them all to find the node with the best performance for my connection.

FYI - I used Speakeasy’s (an old ISP in Seattle) speed test for my measurements.

2 Likes

It wasn’t meant to sound as firing back but we thought the “can” would not be visible with so much text we wanted to share with you. To be fair we never thought it would create the impression that the servers would be selectable which we are really sorry for :frowning:

Hope you still have use for us and thanks for the feedback

Thanks for that. Of course I’m loving it so far & hope we can use both our lifetime plans for many decades to come. :wink:

1 Like

Exactly. What court case? You done “signed” away your right to court!

Your earlier post stated that any servers can be chosen even while using the lifetime plan. Im confused now. You cannot, if you wanted to, choose Romania as an exit?

I think there are two things that are being mixed here.
The previous poster had the impression (at the time he purchased the promo from stacksocial) that he would be able to select 15 from 63 network locations.

However the locations (those 15) that you outlined above - are fixed and cannot be exchanged. Meaning you cannot mix and pick as you like in the sense that you could individually select the nodes you want in your plan. (E.g I would like Brazil + Dubai +…)

What you refer to (so we assume) is the question if a customer can connect to “let’s say Romania” or if the location where customers can connect to would be defined by tigerVPN. A customer can at any given moment connect to any of the 15 network nodes he wants to. If someone wants to watch german TV he will most likely pick Frankfurt Germany (included in those 15 locations). If he wants to connect to Romania, he can do that as well.

PS - customer can unlock an upgrade option to get 40 locations in their dashboard (those who are customers can see what locations that will unlock) and can but don’t need to unlock that.

Hope this cleared all questions :crossed_fingers:

Post removed temporarily

This was not easy to setup, in fact I could not get it to work at all. I’ve sent two support tickets to Tiger VPN and not heard back from them at all. Don’t waste your money.

@tigerVPN.com help please!

Sorry to hear that Ipkitty.

While I cannot find your support tickets because of your username here I must say that due to the massive media buzz including the special deal that we are selling is creating a ton of new customers every hour and we are a bit under the weather to respond in realtime - but we aim to resolve all customer communications within 24hrs. Usually it’s more like 25 minutes but it can also be a tick longer (really sorry for that)

Now about your comment, I do not want to turn this discussion into a support ticket because we would have to go back and forward a lot but I can offer you that we will find a resolution this way or another. All I can ask you here is to give us a tiny bit longer for the proper resolution to dig deeper and help you out. Let me remind you, we always find a solution to make our customers happy but I understand the frustration when you buy a Nintendo Switch and you are missing an HDMI cable to connect it to your TV, so the frustration in your comment is understandable.

PS, let me know your ticket number starting with a hashtag and a number ex. #323491 or if you did it inside the apps - live chat or website your tigerID which you can find in your customer dashboard under the section geeks (see attached)