Tim Burton "looking to develop" The Addams Family as a present-day, live-action series

" Further, Mr. Printer, the Knowing Ones complain of my book the first edition had no stops. I put in enough here and they may pepper and salt it as they please.”

One thing I love about Newburyport is that they named their industrial park the “Lord Timothy Dexter Industrial Park”. Even including his “title”.

3 Likes

Yes, this is my take as well. The Addams Family were completely anarchic. The Munsters were conformist. Also, I think the cast of The Addams Family was much better. Carolyn Jones is hilarious in an understated way, providing a lot of punchlines by just a small lift of her eyebrow.

10 Likes

The bit where he beats his wife for not grieving enough at his wake is totally fucked up though, in a “is he supposed to be the hero or the villain of this movie” way.

I don’t know how you would write that in the script, putting it in and leaving it out are problematic in different ways.

2 Likes

I came here to post the same thing! This was brilliant

1 Like

Just watched the whole thing. Thanks for sharing! It was wonderful!

1 Like

Use the entire cast from Modern Family.

Yes. Also the Munsters were working class and the Addams family were wealthy, living on investments. Honestly I enjoyed both shows, but the Addams family actually resonated with me far more than the Munsters. The Addamses reveled in the macabre, the Munsters just were hokey stereotypes.

(This is an old argument my partner and I have; he prefered the Munsters because “Herman Munster is awesome” and because, according to him, the Addamses have a New York connections and the Munsters were “hicks” – guess which of us is from a small town and which is from NYC?).

3 Likes

Yes, Addams Family.
Although Herman Munster was a sight to behold in his Tom of Finland outfit.

Obligatory Tom’s of Finland/Maine reference…

1 Like

That may be an unpopular opinion but I agree with you 100% on this. He also managed to mess up the Miss Peregrine film by completely changing the third act from the book for reasons I still don’t understand.

Not to say he hasn’t had a few good movies here and there (like Beetlejuice) but as a general rule I tend to stay away from anything with his name attached to it. I just find him to be incredibly overrated and one-trick. Every time I hear him gushingly referred to as “visionary”, I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

1 Like

At the moment it’s just a Notion, but with a bit of backing I think I could turn it into a Concept, and then an Idea.

2 Likes

With John Astin and Raul Julia dead who could possibly play Gomez Addams now?

1 Like

The first two Batman movies have held up pretty well, especially compared to the Joel Schumacher ones that followed. And there’s always Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, adapted from Paul Reubens’ stage show.

I can’t think of any good examples from the last quarter century though unless you’re a Sweeney Todd fan.

Well he used to make films that felt innovative and looked like no one else’s. The problem is that everything he’s made over the last 20 years looks the same, whether it’s a musical about a serial killer or an adaptation of a beloved children’s story.

2 Likes

Obligatory:

4 Likes

Oh, that was good.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.