Tim the Security Guard at the National Cowboy Museum is the wholesome content you need right now

If’n it don’t feature a Woody Strode exhibit, Ah don’t cotton to it.

4 Likes

He looks exactly how I remember my uncle Kevin.

2 Likes

I even liked him as a tarnished villain (sans stache) on Justified.

2 Likes

Furthermore:

3 Likes

They even had “the room” from 2001.

You had to take off your shoes and wear plastic booties to view the exhibit.

3 Likes

Soon to be the subject of a long overdue film

6 Likes

tenor (11)

5 Likes

Bless this guy. He seems to be very passionate about his job, which is something I have high respect for. And he is willing to try something completely new to him to share his passion with others, also to brighten their days in these serious times.
Cheers to you, cowboy Tim.

4 Likes

I think we would do well to “please” and “thank you” certain tech. :grin:

4 Likes

Why would the person who made that graphic claiming “Cowboys of the Wild West typically wore bowler-style hats” illustrate their point with a picture of five guys who were clearly not wearing the kind of attire people would wear while herding cattle?

Lots of people in the “Wild West” era favored bowler-style hats, sure—particularly people who spent more time in the towns and less living on the range. But there is also PLENTY of documentation of real-life cowboys wearing wide-brimmed hats earlier than the late 19th Century, going back to the Spanish “Vaqueros” who basically served as the template for Cowboy culture in the United States.

6 Likes

Yeah, cowboys/the “Old West” is one of those things so weirdly mythologized by popular fiction that most everything people “know” about it is wrong. E.g. people running around having shootouts in town streets, when in reality guns were more likely to be totally banned…

Absolutely everything from their feed shown here is about Hollywood “cowboys” and modern (mis)conceptions. It may not be representative of the museum’s approach, but that’s all I’ve got to go on. (Though the fact that this is in the Twitter feed is problematic.)

The National Air and Space Museum is about things that happened within visitors’ lifetimes, whereas “cowboys,” as modern people conceive of them, are almost entirely a creation of Hollywood. So yeah, one can have both fantasy and reality in exhibitions, but when people already confuse the two, that’s not a great approach, especially not if the fantasy is what’s being highlighted.

3 Likes

Because he was loo lazy to keep searching?

1 Like

It’s not really an accurate claim, though. I guess if the claim is “the only true Cowboy hat is one made by the Stetson company, and they only started manufacturing them in 1865” then you could say “most cowboys didn’t wear cowboy hats until the Wild West era was already underway.” But even then you’d have to ignore all the wide-brimmed antecedents of the Stetson design, such as the wide-brimmed hats worn by Vaqueros going back to the 17th Century or even the wide-brimmed hats worn by Mongolian riders as early as the 13th Century.

There are lots and lots of contemporaneous photographs and illustrations of cowboys during the “Wild West” era (nebulously defined but usually considered 1865-1895). A vast majority of them show men wearing wide-brimmed hats of various design. It’s not just a Hollywood construct.

4 Likes

Nonsense. The only true cowboy was and is the Marlboro Man.

2 Likes

Can I change my answer?
tumblr_plwjjoQMbX1wtqfh2o4_500

5 Likes

Plus if they didn’t wear those hats I’m pretty sure that Lisa Simpson would have pointed it out.

4 Likes

Yeah, I appreciate that he’s putting himself out there, doing something new, learning as he’s going along, and not terribly worried about making a mistake. A lot of people would be afraid to do that.

Thanks, Tim!

1 Like

Be kind now so your safety under future AI rule is assured.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko's_basilisk

2 Likes

It’s an excellent museum. Does it cover cowboys in pop culture? Yes. Does it also cover real cowboys? Absolutely. It also has one of the best collections of art of the American West as well. If you ever find yourself in Oklahoma City, it’s a must see.

7 Likes

I saw that movie in the theaters, I was 7 at the time.

My Dad had a thing for co-star Jane Fonda. She was prolific from 1977-80 (8 movies in 4 years). He took me to see practically all of them. Most were wildly age inappropriate for those under age 9.

2 Likes