Time capsule from 1969 opened and (drumroll) nothing was inside!

A metaphor for what Baby boomers are leaving for future generations.

10 Likes
3 Likes

Put me in mind of this…

That said, bummer. Though I wouldn’t have thought to place an off-site list of contents for a time capsule, and I suppose that’s advisable, so something learned.

1 Like

I expect the person charged with filling it was just too damned high.

2 Likes

Perhaps it was a prank? Tell everyone it’s a “time capsule” and get everyone’s expectations up for 50 years, but never actually put anything inside it in the first place. Hilarity!

5 Likes

Maybe they filled it with dry ice sculptures?

4 Likes

Crap. That was the nations strategic patchouli reserve.

8 Likes

1969?
excellent

7 Likes

We made one in 3rd grade and opened it our senior year. It was filled with things we felt were important - mostly toys from happy meals.

10 Likes

!!! I haven’t heard that one in a long while, but my understanding is that the hint re the song title is contained in the lyrics (which Donovan verified): “… electrical banana…”

The song is about vibrators.

6 Likes

Or, maybe, It was when our timeline was changed. They messed with the time 50 years ago and now, in 2019, we are living in crazy times.

4 Likes

I bet Steve and Linda like got super baked and totally whiffed it

3 Likes

Just a conspiracy of calendar-makers, then?

1 Like

That is was not my understanding.

5 Likes

I thought that for ages, but it turns out that the rumour that “Mellow Yellow” was about smoking peels was created by Country Joe.
Banana peel smokers would have to wait another 20 years before getting their own legit anthem.

6 Likes

“Hey Bud, what are we gonna put in the time capsule that the city council just bought from us?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Nothing.”

“But Bud-!”

“Aw, that’s their job. And what are they gonna do, when they open it in 50 years? You and I will be in our 90’s if we even live that long. Don’t worry about it.”

5 Likes

Hunh. I think it went like this:
“Hey Bud, what are we going to put in this time Capsule thing?”
“I got nothing.”
“…me neither.”
“Let’s leave it while we think about it.”
“Fine…”

“Hey Bud, whatever happened to the Time Capsule thing?”
“What Time Capsule thing?..”

3 Likes

Maybe somebody opened it up on, say, the 25th anniversary and god closed it up again?
facemelt

8 Likes

Back in 1969, someone had a pretty good weekend in Dallas with that stuff.

4 Likes

That reminds me of two things.

One: Twelve monkeys, airport scene.
Two: the tale of a former colleague, a bioclimatology, who brought air samples for isotope analysis from the Equadorian rain forests canopy and was asked to open the GC/MS tubes they used to transport those at customs.

Let’s just hope this didn’t contain anything but some stale are, all right?

3 Likes