Time to Statham Punch

That’s why I drink malt liquor.

Me: “Hey, welcome to casa de LDoBe, feel free to help yourself to as much Steel Reserve as you want”

Guest: “I do not, nor have I ever wanted, nor will I ever want to drink something that makes me immediately feel like I’m being poisoned.”

Me: “Your loss. More beer for me.”

6 Likes

Now, Bud Lite Lime Like-a-Ritas are a whole other story of cheap trashy summer excess…

Mixed with ginger ale.

3 Likes

Steel Reserve is the poor man’s version of the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster

5 Likes

Yeah. It’s a lot like getting your brain smashed in with a thin slice of wonderbread wrapped around a large red brick.

5 Likes

Or a slice of wonderbread duct taped to keg of bud light

5 Likes

I can say, I’ve both gargled and blasted after drinking too much. It’s one notch less wretched than the real bum beer:

Seriously, I can’t even drink half a can of that stuff. Ever single sip makes me shudder and puts me on the edge of wretching. I used to drink it all the time, until I discovered for only 10 cents more, I can get stuff that tastes merely like poison, instead of high-grade industrial waste.

3 Likes

What the hell is that crap? 10% beer should be an actual imperial or something. (And it will usually be 9.x at most.) High gravity lager? BLURRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

5 Likes

“High gravity lager” is a marketing term. It means a lager “style” beer they keep adding sugar to, continuously during fermentation until the beer yeast dies. Which happens to be around 10-12% abv. for the strains they use. Then they add some apple juice or a little fresh malt to “improve the taste”.

Honestly, Earthquake tastes like rotten grannysmith applejuice. Like someone mixed a beer with a cider, then let it sit out in the sun in a container made out of weasel scrotums.

Steel Reserve just tastes like completely unhopped beer with very high ABV.

4 Likes

Assumed it was. Those others don’t sound appealing either. I had a 40 of Colt or so in my adolescent days, but I demand beer be beer now that I’m in the last half of my life.

3 Likes

Yeah. I demand beer get me drunk these days.

1 Like

Yeah. No more tramp juice.

3 Likes

“Serve Ice Cold” There’s the first warning…

5 Likes

Seriously though, I drink beer because I can’t drink hard liquor in moderation. I can do a bunch of shots, not feel subjectively buzzed at all then, an hour later I’m blacked out. So I stick with beer so I can at least tell I’m not fit to drive.

2 Likes

I hope your kidding, you really need a better metric for deciding if you are fit to drive then how you “feel”.

In the Netherlands what your thought when you get your licence is, that you can have a maximum of two drinks of a standard size. Standard size here is maybe smaller then what your used to though, I got the following infographic from a Belgian site but it corresponds nicely with what I learned:

See here for more: Omgaan met alcohol: standaardglazen

When you are a beginning driver, for the first few years, you get a special kind of license that allows you only half a standard drink, so basically nothing at all.

I drive a motorcycle and try to stick to 0 drinks too, but that is just voluntary.

2 Likes

It’s kidding. I have a personal rule I tell everyone about. If I’ve even had one beer or drink of any kind, even a mild honest-to-goodness beer like an Alaskan summer ale or bud lite, then I don’t drive until after I’ve caught my Zees for the night. That’s plenty of time for any amount that I’ve drunk, considering how much I sleep in.

Legally speaking, it would seem that I can’t blow a 0.08 BAC no matter how much beer I drink. Even with malt liquor. So that’s what the rule is for. And like I said, I don’t drink hard liquor. And I absolutely don’t drink anything that comes from grapes. Gives me an instant migraine.

I did try to drive around legally-not-drunk for a little while, but that ended very quickly.

Thanks for the advice.

We actually have a more restrictive law here in the Washington State in the USA. You can get your driver’s license at age 16. You’re not allowed to drive with anyone under 18 in your car until you turn 18, and if you have any detectable alcohol (field breathalyzer test) before age 21 then your license is suspended until age 25 at least. And you get a criminal record. After age 21, in most states, the legal limit for field breathalyzer (and also blood) tests is a blood alcohol content of 0.08%.

2 Likes

Also, it’s not really about “not fit to drive” so much as, “I can tell I’m buzzed, so it’s time for me to underestimate myself and consciously start telling myself to shutup and listen, and not do stupid things.”

2 Likes

I routinely drink beers above 9-10%. I had a really nice ale aged in bourbon barrels and was 12.7%, left me with a really great buzz but was far more drinkable than Steel Reserve or other cheap high gravity type of beers.

4 Likes

I know they do go above 10 percent. It definitely makes a difference how the get there.

3 Likes

Artillery punch with Happy Shopper energy drink. In a pint glass.

2 Likes

Super T is quality tramp juice.

2 Likes