Tire removed from elk's neck after two years

Originally published at: Tire removed from elk's neck after two years | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Happy Star Trek GIF

Thanks, @pesco… I needed some good news today.

24 Likes

Why didn’t they just cut the tire off instead of the antlers? Probably brought a bone saw, but not something to cut through rubber. I’d have packed one of those portable saws-alls (however that is spelled).

OH well, he lost his bling but probably a lot more comforta-bull now.

30 Likes

I’m not going to click through on this one because I want to keep imagining a town in Wyoming named Elk’s Neck. It’s so small it only has one tire. Or rather, only HAD one! :slightly_frowning_face:

13 Likes

I hope the elk no longer feels so tired.

30 Likes

Nice. That joke has a lot of traction. Indeed, I think you could ride it all day!

21 Likes

He’ll certainly be treading a bit lighter.

20 Likes

Elk usually shed antlers every year, surprised he didn’t get the tire off during the last shed. Maybe he liked it?

6 Likes

Buddy is just trying to accessorize and everybody’s gotta hate /s

4 Likes

It would be a sad irony if he didn’t survive mating season because he was left defenseless against the other bulls. Like @Mister44 says I’m surprised they didn’t bring tools capable of cutting the tire itself since they went into the woods with that specific intent.

8 Likes

19 Likes

When are we going to put an end to civil asset forfeiture! The authorities just took this elk’s property without charging him with a crime. The government has stolen more tires from elks so far this year than criminals have in the past ten years combined. So who are the real criminals? What’s worse is how the government uses profiling to apply this to underrepresented minorities, like elk. I can drive around all day with four tires (and a spare in the back!), but because I’m a white male, the police just look the other way. But an elk with a tire? That’s clearly the proceeds of a crime! Did they even ask the elk where he got the tire before they tazed tranquilized him? I’m outraged!

[The above is intended as humor. Please don’t reply to tell me I’m stupid.
I already know that.]

4 Likes

nice - then they installed a snow tire? right?

13 Likes

It may have even protected his neck against antler gouging from rival bulls. Oh well, he can probably find another one if he tries hard enough.

4 Likes

Love the pic.
It’s basically modern interpretation of Albert Bierstadt’s paintings, that’s what it is.

This coverage says they were unable to cut through the steel in the bead of the tyre.

Officers with the agency had to cut off the elk’s five-point antlers to remove the object because they couldn’t slice through the steel in the bead of the tyre.

“We would have preferred to cut the tyre and leave the antlers for his rutting activity, but the situation was dynamic and we had to just get the tyre off in any way possible,” officer Scott Murdoch said.

and @RickMycroft @milliefink @tenbrook Will you guys please get a grip!?

11 Likes

There is a tire shortage.

4 Likes

I can roll with that.

6 Likes

This could be a Goodyear after all.

8 Likes

You’re supposed to replace them in pairs, but carrying them around would make him two-tired.

6 Likes