'To Donald Trump,' by Leland Melvin, former NASA Astronaut and NFL Player

If you’re “reaching across the aisle”, as it is traditionally understood in US politics (i.e. making deals with the GOP), then yes: that is reaching out to the extreme right. Those 30% assholes are the GOP.

No, the center-right (i.e. the Democrats) are quite fond of that sort of thing as well. See The West Wing for the most obvious example.

However, that grouping is not very large. Only about 1/3 of the country voted for the Democrats, and about half of those people did so extremely reluctantly.

Yes.

The reaction of the establishment Democrats has mostly been utterly catastrophic. They are doing a note-by-note replay of the errors of the German centrists in the 1930’s.

They collaborated with the appointment of Trump’s criminal, white supremacist cabinet. They had the chance to block supply, and gave it up for nothing. They almost unanimously voted for an insanely large expansion of the military. Chuck Schumer is cheerfully offering to approve a massive militarisation of the border patrol. Nancy Pelosi is actively contributing to the demonisation of antifa, and attempting to horse-trade with the lives of undocumented Americans.

The left is well aware of the need for a united front, and are working very hard to make it happen. Everything from anarchists to pacifists to Juggalos; all are welcome, so long as they are willing to take a stand against fascism.

So far, that group does not include establishment Democrats.

No, I am not advocating that. I have already posted this many, many times, but once more:

I do not promote violence against the state, or aggressive violence against the fascists. But my reasoning there is primarily tactical rather than ethical, and I do believe that forceful community self-defence is both regrettably necessary and practically unavoidable in the current reality.

And as for what I propose:

Step 1: Get people to accept the reality of what’s happening.
Step 2: Organise a united front of left wing activist organisations.
Step 3: Build momentum with issue-focused street protest, ramp it up to a national general strike as rapidly as possible.

Which is essentially what is being done right now by BLM, the DSA, the Struggalos, Redneck Revolt, etc. etc.

The Berniecrats also have a role in that, but they’re currently focused on attempting to salvage the useful parts of the Democratic Party.

Marching on Washington to “demand change” will not do the job. This isn’t a symbolic hearts and minds protest; it’s a strike. It isn’t about trying to convince fascist legislators to be nice; it is about paralysing the economy until the government is overthrown.

1 Like