To keep numbers low, Trump wanted to dump early pandemic patients at Guantanamo Bay

Originally published at: To keep numbers low, Trump wanted to dump early pandemic patients at Guantanamo Bay | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I’m a little surprised that we haven’t heard of other countries having large quarantine camps yet. I kind of expected to hear that China was “reeducating” COVID victims or that sort of thing. Trump isn’t that original even with bad ideas.

18 Likes

Fascists do love their concentration camps.

41 Likes

The real reason he wanted to buy Greenland?

22 Likes

Fake news!
He wanted to dump them in Guantanamo Bay.

11 Likes

Cerdo

2 Likes

I don’t think Trump ever played Pandemic or Plague Inc. Candy Land is more his level, with a carefully shuffled pack so he always wins.

Some of his advisors might have played them though.

16 Likes

I would wonder if it was to keep the numbers down, or to punish people who challenged El Dorito’s reality?

12 Likes

I used to enjoy playing “Pandemic.” COVID-19 completely ruined that game for me.

11 Likes

29 Likes

That is probably too clever. I see him as simply “improving his lie” by skipping forward to a later square of the same color.

Edited to add: And if it isn’t too clever, it is far too much work.

11 Likes

Guantanamo is a military base. Deliberately dumping infected people there doesn’t seem like a very patriotic move…

Also: USA doesn’t own Guantanamo. It claims to rent it from Cuba, but from the Cuban perspective it’s more of an occupation against their will, dating back to the Platt amendment:

6 Likes

It’s so weird that he was talking about these kind of drastic measures - while doing little to nothing to control the influx of infected people into the country (and not enforcing any kind of quarantine when they arrived). He just cared about the appearance (the numbers), not the issue itself. Also, he was too lazy (or dumb) to do much to deal with the appearance of the thing, either.

China was checking people’s temperatures on the street and forcibly disappearing them into some sort of quarantine if they had a fever.

Same difference?

Look at how Trump plays golf - he just openly cheats, with the expectation that everyone will politely go along with it.

13 Likes

Trump’s policy regarding COVID revolved around other things besides human life (the economy primarily), and this little bit of info shows that even human rights weren’t important to him [ETA: as if we didn’t know] despite the paranoid minions of the GOP crying about their rights vis a vis masks and businesses opening.

5 Likes

But that’s exactly what the article is about. President Trump didn’t want infected Americans returning home but instead shuttle them off to an island somewhere.

1 Like

But my point is that what he ended up doing was basically nothing - he was late to cut off travel with China (and did nothing to quarantine returning citizens), extremely late to put travel restrictions on Europe, again with no quarantine (and, in fact, generally done so ineptly it increased cases). He was focused on imposing draconian, illegal measures on one group while totally ignoring the larger influx of people that were driving the numbers. He didn’t seem to care about infected Americans returning home, except in some highly specific contexts (that, even there, he then seemed to lose interest in).

6 Likes

That might explain this. :wink:

Trump: We wanna dump covid-19 carriers on you guys.
Puerto Rico: Fuck you!
Trump: Fuck you, too. Now I’m gonna sell you off.

2 Likes

It does seems like the next logical step from the, “don’t test then claim the lowest test results,” policy.

…if you’re a psychopath.

6 Likes

I’ve said before, I can’t believe that the least realistic thing about Pandemic is that everyone is on the same team, when it turns out it should have traitor or saboteur roles. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

Yes, these are definitely completely normal, sensible things to say, and not at all the insane musings of a sociopathic fascist wannabe.

5 Likes