To protest Covid mandates, California town declares itself "constitutional republic"

They should at least enforce ten days’ quarantine (in a hotel you have to pay for, of course) on everyone entering from that republic

9 Likes

In other words, it’s not unlike the sanctuary city designation.

Assuming we take logic, reason, and acknowledgment of reality out of the equation, sure.

9 Likes

I think what they really wanted to say was a Confederate Republic but they chickened out.

11 Likes

Add in sovereign citizen in the mix and we’ll have triple decker republic of self-centered morons.

6 Likes

Idiots.

18 Likes

“You can’t tell me what to do, Mom, guh!”

Truly, a noble and worthy hill to die on.

6 Likes

Can confirm, some parts of Northern California are like stepping back into the 1800’s, and some are like the Dark Ages. Be advised.

12 Likes

Someone will make a fortune buying up all the land… in the cemetery.

4 Likes

They’re going to build a y’all.

4 Likes

…overreaching or clearly violate our constitutionally protected rights…

Says who? Who decides?

Let me guess, they elect someone to represent the people (a/k/a the government).

4 Likes

The Great Seal of the State of Jefferson has a certain Acid House charm to it.

4 Likes

Given that they are now a self-contained republic the state can save considerable money by not supporting them and their roads, bridges, utilities, medical care, police protection, fire protection, etc. Of course the savings will go away when the last of them dies or moves but still…

6 Likes

Not to mention the federal funding that goes to their schools, water supplies, and connection to the national power grid. And i guess the state can charge duty tax on all goods traveling to/from there? I’m not sure how duty taxes work…but there must be something. You can only “import” a certain number of cigarettes, for example, right?
I wonder what this move will mean for their municipal airport. Is it now an international airport?

6 Likes

Qovidiots.

Anti-Constitution nutjobs can say whatever the hell they want. However, they are bound by the US Constitution and the California Constitution to both the state of California and the federal government.

They are posturing, because there is no rationality in their response and they have nothing to counter the reality of COVID-19 and the mitigation measures, including vaccination, required to manage it.

7 Likes

All neighboring counties should just set up checkpoints at the border and not allow anyone out. Totally reasonable.

5 Likes

Also the fact that Hansen’s Disease spreads much, much more slowly.

4 Likes

Or just invest in Service Corp International. (Ticker SCI) The megacorp for funeral homes and private cemeteries and all your post mortem needs. (38% YTD return)

2 Likes

14 Likes

I guess that makes them a right-to-die city.

My list of places never to waste a tourist dollar in just keeps growing.

5 Likes