Today in transphobia (Part 1)

6 Likes

It begins.

11 Likes

This is absolutely disgusting

The mum, who works as a social worker, described how her son came out as trans just before his 13th birthday. She has supported him since.

She claimed a DFPS agent had knocked on her door last week and told her the agency has a right to “investigate the ‘abuse’ that happened prior to my son turning 18”. They reportedly told her she is a “danger to [her] clients”.

The mum told Xtra that her ex-husband did not support her son’s identity and that he repeatedly filed false child abuse claims against her in the past for affirming her son’s identity.

As such, she said there were nine closed cases attached to her name. She recalled how DFPS told her attorney that “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” and the closed cases meant she’d “been hiding something for years”.

So it looks like NASA is getting in on transphobia.

Behind closed doors, one NASA employee told Slate that NASA officials “compared displaying pronouns to expressing public support for sports teams” and felt the pronouns made others “uncomfortable.”

10 Likes

Assholes. I suspect my trans rocket engineer friend in Florida is going to be very pissed off about this and rightly so.

12 Likes

Employees can and will still add their pronouns into their emails. And should as they desire.

Preventing employees from doing so will probably put them in some trouble with the OPM and Biden’s diversity exec order.

That said - I choose not to use them personally. I’ve been very out for decades as trans and I’d much rather know if someone’s an asshole right upfront.

And I have a person who reports to me who in their previous position was being directed to add them and was very uncomfortable as they weren’t out and hadn’t begun to socially transition as non binary. They didn’t want to out themselves and didn’t want to lie about themselves. It was a big enough deal for them that it influenced their leaving their position to work with me.

Personal pronouns are very personal.

12 Likes

Yeah, “allowing” and “requiring” are very different things, especially with something that personal.

10 Likes

The value placed on pronouns seems to be more important to people younger than me. The thing I find problematic is, they gave people the option to display their pronouns, then took it away because it made other people uncomfortable.

9 Likes

Absolutely. It’s something that many find makes them feel more included and others feel expresses their desire to include and support. How can that be a problem for an employer?

10 Likes

There are transphobes everywhere and for them our existence is a problem.

10 Likes

I’m at the I’m not locked up here with you stage of life.

12 Likes

Taking away the option is awful, but I think it should be allowed as an option. It is at my workplace, and I put my more common but less preferred pronouns in my work email signature. I don’t want to put my preferred pronouns in though, since I don’t want to have to explain fae/faer to everyone I talk to. I reserve those for queer spaces.

11 Likes
7 Likes

Tennessee
On Tuesday, a House panel advanced a bill, HB 800, that would ban public schools from using textbooks and instructional materials that “promote, normalise, support or address controversial social issues” including LGBT+ “lifestyles”.
The bill will now move onto the full House for debate.

Cannot address controversial social issues at all. Yeah, that’s the end goal of all of this shit. Lovely.

9 Likes

“LGBT+ lifestyles”?

Who the fuck doesn’t like brunch!?

11 Likes

I don’t like brunch crowds…does that count against me?

10 Likes

I’m sure it’s just the size of the crowd, not who’s brunching so we’re good.

Thumbs Ok GIF by MOODMAN

8 Likes

Like assault weapons?

8 Likes

Seeing as they want them and have them already, yeah, probably.

8 Likes

Bigoted killjoys… brunch is decadent, as you should have breakfast THEN lunch, as god intended… you know, in the bible.

9 Likes

I’m godless so I eat when I want.

Winning Snoop Dogg GIF by VH1

8 Likes