Today in transphobia (Part 1)

Come the transvolution, motherfucker.

13 Likes

14 Likes

Fucking hell, I just want the green paper to be released so I can get the bad news over and done with. The waiting is making my PTSD worse.

10 Likes

16 Likes

That is the dumbest thing I’ve seen all day, and that’s saying a lot.

15 Likes

TERFLogic is an inexhaustible fount of stupid- and malignant intent.

15 Likes

tenor-10

12 Likes

The sheer stupid, though; that shit is IMMENSE.

13 Likes

University of Maryland Hospital owned, yet, abides by Catholic religious doctrine. How the hell does this fly? I have never heard of something like this! (And don’t even start on the “privately-owned” fiction. UM is a publicly owned entity regardless of the corporate structure.)

15 Likes

Because Maryland was the only Catholic colony?

Nah - they’re just assholes.

12 Likes

I think people denying themselves, or their family members (looking at you, Jehovah’s Witnesses) treatment is wrong, but if you really believe and can state your personal claim clearly and coherently, well, fair enough. I can think that’s stupid but it harms only the patient. You do you.

Medical practitioners denying to treat someone because of their own arbitrary religious beliefs is plain evil.

16 Likes

I’m sure they‘all deny cis women seeking tubal ligation or cis guys seeking vasectomy on the same basis.

12 Likes

I would be 100% on board with that.

No, wait, I totally fucking wouldn’t!!

If your god says you can treat someone, anyone, worse than someone else then you’re an asshole.
So’s your god.

14 Likes

Elizabeth Sepper, Zombie Religious Institutions , 112 Nw. U. L. Rev. 929 (2018).

This Article uncovers and names a phenomenon of pressing importance for healthcare policy and religious liberty law: the rise of zombie religious institutions—organizations that have contractual commitments to religious identity but lack actual attachments to churches or associations of religious people. Contracts create religion—sometimes in perpetuity—for institutions that are not, or never have been, religious and for providers who do not share the institution’s religious precepts. This Article details religion’s spread across healthcare through affiliations, mergers, and—most surprisingly—sales of hospitals that continue religious practice after their connection to a church ends. These contracts require hospitals—secular and religious, public and private, for-profit and nonprofit—to comply with religious tenets. “Religious” institutions far removed from the paradigm of the church populate the marketplace. In this way, private law impedes public policy, expanding the universe of institutions eligible for religious exemption from otherwise applicable laws. Moreover, as the category of religious institution loses its specialness, theories of religious institutionalism founder. The presumption of autonomy of religious institutions from regulation cannot survive in the marketplace where religious identity can be bought and sold.

5 Likes

Well, hell. Yet another way our health care system is fucked. I was not sure there were any undiscovered fuckeries, but apparently so. I hate this timeline soooo much…

13 Likes

Haven’t there been societies where power is essentially divided between landowners and industrialists, and social welfare is left to the church (which also happens to be the largest landowner in the country)?

12 Likes

10 Likes

“Free speech for me, but not for thee.”

FTA:

Last month the Guardian revealed that four authors at Rowling’s literary agency had resigned in protest after the company refused to issue a public statement of support for transgender rights, saying that “freedom of speech can only be upheld if the structural inequalities that hinder equal opportunities for underrepresented groups are challenged and changed”.

Hypocrites. (Rowling and her publishers, not the critics who caved to legal threats. In the US a billionaire filling frivolous lawsuits can be ruinously expensive to fight, but in the UK the billionaire may in fact win a ruinous judgement against reasonable criticism.)

13 Likes

Why didn’t she just engage in more free speech?

Because power concedes nothing?

12 Likes