Today in transphobia (Part 1)

TERF has come to stand for “Trans exclusionary rat fuckers” right? Because a lot of this stuff is just fucking bullshit. Like I get that there are actual older feminists who fought for women’s rights in the 70s and combine a desire for ciswomen’s equality with bigotry against people who are transgender (especially women who are transgender). Those people really exist.

But someone who says they are a single issue voter on anti-trans bigotry and will support a man who has committed dozens of sexual assaults because of it isn’t any kind of feminist.

15 Likes

They are neither radical nor feminist. Many, many aren’t lesbians or are political lesbians- it’s not their sexual orientation.

Still - TERF is the word they invented.

14 Likes

Thread:

50 fucking years and our rights are still being debated in parliament.

19 Likes

There are only two kinds of people.

Those who believe trans people deserve to be treated equally respecting their full humanity and assholes.

20 Likes

They’re so predictable- like cartoon villains brought to a live action movie.

13 Likes

With a little editing that sentence can cover every marginal group.

Equal rights for everyone - why the fuck not?

(Rhetorical question, seeing as the answer is “too many people are selfish assholes.”)

11 Likes

I just like the irony of applying their binary right back on them.

11 Likes

Team Irony FTW!!

11 Likes

Or, more generally, self-absorbed, evil assholes, and not.

7 Likes

Yesterday in transphobia.

Also - I’m looking at you travesty.

17 Likes
13 Likes

OK, fire the script writer. This season of IRL is too unbelievable.

13 Likes
12 Likes

Jesus! That’s horrible! That poor woman.

11 Likes

Arthurclenchedfist.jpg

5 Likes

:cry: :sob: I hate this timeline…

12 Likes

I had thought this was settled some time back. Did it get appealed or refiled or something?

15 Likes

She seeks to incite anger towards trans people. Well - we’ve all seen what that leads to - all too often.

15 Likes

This is powerful to me because I spent a good part of my life basically buying into the narrative that bigots are often well intentioned and misinformed. That’s the narrative that society sells people with the visible privileges.

I know better now, but it matters to me to read something like that and see that incitement was both intentional and dishonest. Ditum had to get riled up on purpose in order to write angry things, things that Ditum’s rational mind knew weren’t anything to be angry about.

The bigotry is genuine and still it’s dishonest. I feel like writers like this are in a pyramid scheme: like every bigot is hoping that a bigger bigot will come along to buy their bigotry, even when its emotional rather than financial as it was for Ditum. It’s the whole organizations of the culture of bigots who support one another.

14 Likes

That etymology is from James Murray, the original editor of the OED-- which might explain why it’s still around. The full etymology entry is long and replete with hedges. “No one knows, but we’d better try and grasp at these straws!”

Also from Oxford University Press.

Travesty, etymologically speaking, is far more straightforward, and comes from the theatre and masqued balls.

1 Like