Today in transphobia (Part 2)

I can’t see how this will be enforceable, much less why it’s even necessary, but then the people behind it are only interested in intimidation.

2 Likes

“Flags that are there to present a political viewpoint, that are really not for any educational purpose, but really simply to indoctrinate students with regards to a particular political point of view,” Bulso says. “We’re going to be expanding the bill to add some substance to address other types of flags that can very properly be displayed without anyone trying to make a political statement, and we’ll be adding something of a procedural effect with regard to how it may be enforced and by whom.”

Potential amendments will include exceptions for flags of other states, countries, provinces, other organizations such as a school’s ROTC programs, flags honoring U.S. service members who are missing in action or held as prisoners of war, or “anything that has historical context.”

I look forward to seeing them explain how the MIA-POW flag has historical context and is not political, while the Pride flag doesn’t have historical context and is political.

4 Likes

I thought the same thing and I suspect it will be their undoing. Isn’t every flag technically “political”? Also, is a sticker or any other representation of a flag also a flag?

But the people behind this aren’t interested in nuance. They want to threaten and also claim they’re martyrs if the measure is struck down.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s not really possible to sufficiently define what is meant by “political” for a law like that to pass constitutional muster. One thing laws need to do is to let people know what is and isn’t permissible before they do something, so they have some notice. I mean, while it’s true that ignorance of the law is no excuse, the law also can’t be so vague and ambiguous that no one knows what it means until they violate the law. And people basically use “political” these days to mean “anything I don’t like”. The law as currently written, without any exceptions other than the US flag and the state flag, is actually probably ok, Constitutionally. But when they start trying to carve out other exceptions for the ROTC, and MIA-POW, and the glee club, and whatever other flags they realize they need to allow, they’re going to run into a problem.

6 Likes

On Friday, December 29, Ohio governor Mike DeWine announced a ban on gender-affirming surgeries for transgender minors as well as new restrictions on clinics providing gender-affirming care to adults. But you wouldn’t know it from the headlines, most of which simply describe Gov. DeWine’s veto of HB 68 as a victory for trans youth:

2 Likes

When asked their name, they would either say “Mr. Seven” or “He’s a number, not a name. His name is Seven.”

The Prisoner?

Authorities did not account for gender identity, going only by biological sex, despite what Seven said. The police report noted “’Seven’ believes she is a male. A medical examination reveals that ‘Seven’ is female."

2003, but still, infuriating.
The investigation (and the story) is full of deadnaming and misgendering of a dead man who cannot defend himself. And it makes me angry.

3 Likes

The fact they’re gonna put up a marker for ‘Reba’ illustrates one of the reasons we call it a deadname - when you haven’t been able to change your name legally to reflect your true self, it’s the name the they use for you when you are dead.

This reminds me, I really need to get going on that legal name change business.

1 Like

That reminds me of reading the Brandon Teena case in my torts law class (Brandon Teena’s mother sued the county for wrongful death). My professor was very respectful, and everyone in my class properly gendered him, but the court opinion did not. Plus, the facts of the case were pretty rough to begin with. But the misgendering and deadnaming didn’t help.

2 Likes

“Mickey Mouse has to become a Nazi,” he said. “He has to. Because Disney is a very, very evil corporation that wants to trans your kids and fill their heads with all sorts of crazy ideas, and Disney’s gotta go.”

1 Like

Of course not. He’s a small n nazi.

3 Likes

This is a language structure that just grates on my last nerve. Anyone using it is an asshole by definition.

4 Likes

He’s cissing his kids.

Sounds bad.

2 Likes

Just that stupid, stupid meme that won’t die of “Trans is something imposed upon cis kids from the outside.” Same flavor as “there were no trans kids when I was growing up, so this is some new contagion that must be stopped!” It’s all willful ignorance that requires constant vigilance to maintain. Can’t let any knowledge challenge this thought.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that I’m older than him.

I just mentally turn it to “ trance”

cat dancing GIF

2 Likes

I love it when transphobes say ‘there’s no such thing as a trans kid’. OK, tell 8 year old me she wasn’t trans then. I was THERE, I just knew I couldn’t say anything without making my life even more hellish than it already was.

2 Likes

Wait, what? If that is her "legal* name, it is in fact her name. Do married women who take their husband’s name have to include their maiden name? This sounds a lot like horseshit.

There is an exception that says the law doesn’t apply to marriage name changes, but since it isn’t well-known, News 5 checked with dozens of lawmakers anyway.

Of course.

A law from the 1990s requires all candidates to list on their signature petitions any name changes within five years

Apparently, the work-around is to wait 5 years, I guess? This sucks.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty clear that they’re targeting this candidate cause they don’t her. Bunch of assholes.

4 Likes

When I was applying to law school, I had to list any other names I had ever used, whether they were legal names or aliases. This is pretty standard background check stuff, and isn’t specifically targeting trans people. I think especially since this particular law requiring name changes made within 5 years to be on signature petitions for running for office was passed in the 1990s, it likely wasn’t made specifically to target trans people. It seems like it’s pretty unnecessary, though. If you change your name legally, that’s a matter of public record, and it can be found out if someone is inclined to find it. I actually had to publish a notice in a newspaper when I had my name changed. So I’m curious what the impetus was to pass that law in the first place. Did Ohio have its own George Santos around that time or something?

7 Likes