Today in transphobia (Part 2)

I’ve told this story before, so those who know can skip it, but several years back my youngest was going to her first gathering of my side of the family as herself. I thought I would head of drama and called to give my dad and sibs a heads up. The responses ranged from “It’s about time” to “Why would you ever think we would have a problem?” Needless to say, it was a great gathering. Given how she was received on my wife’s side, it was a great relief. So, yay for accepting families!

8 Likes
2 Likes

Sending a transgender child to a unit that does not align with their gender identity should be out of the question, no matter a hospital’s constraints, said Dr. Jack Turban, director of the gender psychiatry program at the University of California, San Francisco, and a researcher of quality care barriers for trans youth in inpatient facilities.

This. Absolutely. Now, to be fair, UNC does have facilities and policies in place for trans youth, but, like all of us, is in a crisis of overdemand and undersupply. My issue is the “we have to take the next available bed” instead of “the next available appropriate bed.” Whether this is related to the anti-trans laws or just how the regs are written, I do not know. The only comparison I can come up with is “We have a patient with severe burns. Our burn unit has no beds, so we had to transfer them. The next available bed was at SRMH, so we took it. No, they don’t have a burn unit and cannot provide the necessary care, but we had to take the next available.” Said like that, it sounds ridiculous. But, as always, mental health is treated differently. And this kind of story is just unforgivable.

3 Likes

Jesus, this part…

The issue extends beyond transgender youth, affecting patients with autism, addiction and acute psychiatric disorders who are sometimes sent to facilities unfit to provide specialized care.

So to your example, they really are doing the equivalent of sending burn victims to facilities without burn units. I’m sure the NC GOP just thinks all mental illness is the same, so what difference does it make? They’re all crazy, so fuck 'em. That’s their attitude.

Also, I don’t know about NC’s gender affirming care ban, but in some states, these bans even prohibit doing anything to affirm a minor’s gender identity that is different than the sex they were assigned at birth, so in some states, doctors would be required by law to send such patients to the wrong facility.

2 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

And they also think that it’s “their fault” and that they should just pull themselves up by their boot straps…

7 Likes

Or just suck it up, push it down deep inside yourself, and drown it with booze like respectable people used to do.

1 Like

Yeah… so many people just suffered… we have the tools to help people feel better and the fact that some people think we should just… let people suffer…

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

2 Likes

1 Like

Guess I’m staying in New Jersey. Dammit.

5 Likes

Come to Chicago. Our pizza is better.

5 Likes

Respectfully, I must disagree. Your pizza isn’t even pizza. As Jon Stewart said, it’s tomato soup in a bread bowl.

4 Likes

Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

2 Likes

Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

Think Zach Braff GIF by HULU

3 Likes

backing up homer simpson GIF

3 Likes

Game On Fighting GIF by Shalita Grant

star wars fighting GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

3 Likes

For a guy who is obsessed with who has or doesn’t have a penis, he certainly likes acting like a dick

1 Like
1 Like

Becoming the black entertainer most beloved by the KKK was a weird aspiration, Davey.

6 Likes

I guess he tried to tell us way back in the day…

4 Likes

(giift link. some gift)

1 Like