Today in transphobia (Part 2)

Yeah, I suspect the law is not anti-trans, but I do suspect the the selective enforcement of the law is. I have to wonder if this will be used to go after other trans candidates during this cycle. Guess we shall see.

4 Likes

That is entirely possible. I wonder how hard it would be to find out how often the law has been invoked?

4 Likes

The truth about this that Dave does not want to get outā€¦

ā€œNumerically, while many of Dave Chappelleā€™s specials would get Netflix tremendous amounts of controversy and even nominations for awards and some wins,ā€ the ex-staffer told Vice TV, ā€œit did not by our own standards generate the return on our investment that some other specials that were far cheaper, that were far less offensive, were able to generate.ā€

In other words, Pagels-Minor said, ā€œNot only did you allow hateful content to go out, but you let hateful content go out that was less profitable than content that does not cause harm.ā€

ā€¦is that the boycotts and calls for action actually had an effect.

7 Likes

Yep. Published in the newspaper & had to get fingerprinted by the state police. Fun!

Since then lgbt law orgs has worked with the courts to not have to publish for safety concerns.

6 Likes

Last time I checked, WI still requires publishing your name change unless youā€™re ā€œput at riskā€ but itā€™s up to each individual judge to determine if you meet the ā€œendangermentā€ standards

6 Likes

Luckily, when I changed mine, I was living in Oklahoma City, and they had this business/classifieds paper that no one actually read. It really only existed to satisfy various kinds of notice requirements. I think some people read it. Junk dealers, garage sale aficionados, and bill collectors mostly. It didnā€™t have a wide circulation and it wasnā€™t online, as far as I know, but it satisfied the notice requirements for a name change, so all the trans people in the area used it for that.

6 Likes

In Massachusetts- way back in the day - some friends published in the Armenian language newspaper.

7 Likes

It varies by court & community.

Some places used to just charge $40 and self filling some paperwork.

I had tons of court fees & needed an attorney. Over a thousand bucks back then. Better now. Folks have worked with the Philly courts on the fees for people without the funds.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know what New Jerseyā€™s requirements are, but I love how easy it was here to change the gender marker on my driverā€™s license. I couldnā€™t do that in Oklahoma because I hadnā€™t had surgery then, and I never got around to changing the gender marker on my birth certificate after I moved to Missouri and did have surgery. Missouri required you to have amended your birth certificate to change the gender marker on your DL. But New Jersey? I just had to check the F box when I applied for my license here. I had to submit a copy of my birth certificate, which still said M, but they arenā€™t bothered by that discrepancy here. I really probably should stay in New Jersey. It is a very LGBTQ+ friendly state, legally. I just never have felt at home here, for some reason.

5 Likes

Babs Siperstein had a lot to do with all of that in NJ. Rest her soul.

I helped her get a local bill passed to cover trans health care for city employees there. After I did Philly.

6 Likes

I thank you both.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Babs was great! Sheā€™s very missed.

5 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m proud of Jersey for thatā€¦

I have family from Jersey (born and raised), and I think itā€™s one of those states that gets a lot of flak, so people from there take great pride in being from NJ, and sort of look down their noses at anyone who moved in from elsewhereā€¦ I got that a lot in the town where I grew up (I was born in MAm but we moved to GA when I was a babby), but no one here in the ATL has that attitude, since so many of us are transplantsā€¦ doubly so where I live, since Iā€™m about 15 miles from a refugee centerā€¦

4 Likes

I grew up in Texas, then moved to Oklahoma City for 9 years, and felt instantly at home because in spite of the rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma, the states just arenā€™t very different, culturally. Then I moved to Kansas City for 11 years, and fell in love with that city pretty quickly. And the culture there is not that different than Texas or Oklahoma, just with some added Midwestern flair. I think one of my big problems with having that experience in New Jersey is that I moved here in November, 2019, and in March, 2020, we all went on lockdown. Plus I was in law school, and so I had zero opportunity to meet anyone or really get to know anyone well enough to form real friendships. I still feel quite isolated here. And it doesnā€™t help that in spite of the overall blueness of New Jersey, I live in the heart of MAGAland, New Jersey. If I lived closer to North Jersey, it might be better, but I canā€™t afford to live up there. Itā€™s almost as bad as NYC. Regardless, my experiences with most people individually here have been good. Iā€™ve found most people to be friendly and helpful, with the notable exception of when theyā€™re driving (I have never been honked at so much in my life), and they have this weird pathological fear of left turns (do jug handles even exist anywhere else?). I also miss the food in Kansas City. That is a hidden gem of a foodie town. The pizza in Jersey is better, but everything else kind of sucks. Diners are overrated.

4 Likes

Think Sesame Street GIF

(Okay Iā€™ll stop now :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

In fairness, I meant the pizza in Jersey is better than the pizza in Kansas City, and I think you would agree with that. KC is known for many things, food wise, but not pizza.

ETA: Just to illustrate, while there isnā€™t any such thing as Kansas City style pizza, Pizza Hut began life not too far away in Wichita, Kansas. And Iā€™d say Pizza Hut is pretty representative, in terms of style and quality, of most of the local pizza joints in KC. In other words, not great.

6 Likes

Kansas City-style pizza:

Labor Day Cooking GIF by Munchies

5 Likes

Iā€™m going to be changing my name soon and the process here could definitely be worse, but itā€™s so annoying. The info Iā€™m finding online at my countyā€™s court website is ā€¦ less helpful than it could be. They say many applications wonā€™t require a hearing, but they donā€™t say how they decide which ones do, not on the site and not on the application. And they also say many applications donā€™t require publication but, again, they donā€™t say which types do, so Iā€™ll just be kind of anxious about the prospect of it until then. Fun times.

4 Likes

I actually hired an attorney to help with my name change. I was living in Oklahoma at the time, and I had heard from several other trans people I knew that it depended entirely on who you got as a judge for your hearing. The attorney I hired was also trans, and so she knew how to get me in front of the right judge. I realize a lot of others arenā€™t in a position where they can do that, but getting the help of a lawyer was worth it for me. And, after a few years, was part of what inspired me to go to law school.

4 Likes

https://nitter.net/BenjaminGoggin/status/1743031843870392738

Chaya Raichik and Elon Musk spreading an image that falsely identifies the Uvalde shooter as transā€¦
We already went through this once. The photo is of the wrong person.