Today in transphobia (Part 2)

15 Likes

Our Matthew Shepard moment was supposed to have been Brandon Teena’s murder, which happened 5 years earlier than Shepard’s. But yeah, too many people still view us as freaks.

ETA: Jesus fucking Christ, I just read the whole story. After a teacher broke up the “fight” (it wasn’t a fight, it was a brutal assault), no one even called an ambulance. And probably not coincidentally, a couple of years ago, Libs of TikTok (Chaya Raichik) targeted a teacher in Owasso who had spoken out in support of LGBTQ+ students, forcing her to resign after the subsequent deluge of harassment. Time for a lawsuit.

15 Likes

I just read some local coverage and the paper and their mother deadnames them :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

12 Likes

I’m not surprised, sadly. We studied the Brandon Teena civil lawsuit in my Torts class. His mother sued the county for wrongful death. Unfortunately, she misgendered and deadnamed him throughout the trial, as did the court. Also unfortunately, the jury decided she didn’t suffer any damages because she was estranged from Brandon at the time he was murdered. So apparently, if you aren’t getting along with your family, that means they don’t care if you die. It was such a painful case to read. I’ve never been able to bring myself to watch the movie. I did make the mistake, after reading some of the Sheriff’s comments in the case, of Googling to see if the recording of his interview of Brandon Teena after the rape was online. It is. Do yourself a favor and never listen to it. Hearing it is so much worse than reading it.

16 Likes
13 Likes

Condemning a funeral is low.

13 Likes

It’s not just “condemning”.

The cathedral held a Mass of Reparation following the funeral at the direction of Cardinal Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York, Salvo said.

In ascetical theology, reparation is the making of amends for insults given to God through sin, either one’s own or another’s. (Wiki)

The archbishop’s considered judgement was that the funeral wasn’t just to be condemned, it was so bad that they need to have a mass specifically to apologise to God for it having happened. They didn’t just think it was wrong, they thought it was actively blasphemous.

14 Likes

Assume this post has a bunch of flaggable words in it.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

The only other group I’ve known to engage in this level of hate is the Westboro Baptist Church.

13 Likes

Hmmm. Where have I heard that name before?

10 Likes

His suffer the little children is more Stephen King than Jesus Christ.

7 Likes
12 Likes

I wonder if these women genuinely believe that, once the trans folks have been pushed back into the closet or exterminated, the right-wing conservatives won’t turn on them and do the exact same thing to them.

12 Likes

First because they’re lesbians, then because they’re women.

10 Likes

“Feed the leopard, there’s no way it will be hungry tomorrow!”

*24 hours later

“Agh, my face!!”

18 Likes

This bar is doomed to failure, not because of trans people (although we will get the blame), but because of economics.

One of the things that has been noticed over the last decade is that the few lesbian bars that have survived have been accepting of bisexual women and trans people. The exclusionary bars were the first to close.

With London rent, I give it six months to a year, unless it is being funded by far-right groups with deep pockets.

16 Likes

Meanwhile, a place like My Sister’s Room here in the ATL carries on, because it’s inclusive…

13 Likes

Nex’s mother might not have been so bad…

14 Likes

This is kind of where my uncle and my mother are with me being trans. They don’t understand it, and they may never, but they still love me. My dad still loves me, too, but he’s not just unable to understand, he’s unable to accept.

13 Likes

A series that notably starts with a boy living in a literal closet. I always thought that was a bit of an LGBT allegory, at least until she showed who she really is.

12 Likes