Today in transphobia (Part 2)

Hey Texas Fascists!

kiss GIF

8 Likes

Lambda Legal and the Transgender Law Center have also joined in on that suit seeking the restraining order. That’s a lot of legal artillery, so to speak. Here’s hoping Paxton soon enters the FO phase of FAFO.

10 Likes

“Retaliation”: Texas AG Paxton Demands PFLAG Provide Names, Addresses Of Trans Members

Per the lawsuit, PFLAG National states that it would be required to disclose Texas trans youth members, including “complete names, Social Security numbers, dates of birth, jobs, home addresses, telephone numbers, [and] email addresses.” It also states they would need to hand over documents and communications related to their medical care, hospitals outside the state, and “contingency plans” discussed among members for navigating the new laws on gender-affirming care in Texas.

11 Likes

If ever there was a time to get out, it is now. Holy shit, this is terrifying stuff!

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s the action that prompted the lawsuit seeking a restraining order @mspie500 posted a couple of comments above yours.

9 Likes

I think Texas is about to join Florida on Erin In The Morning’s do not travel list.

12 Likes

Missouri should be a candidate as well.

9 Likes

Cross post in Biden admin

9 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes

Well, so much for thinking he was different.

9 Likes

I’ve considered him an asshole since he compared trans people to nuclear weapons and genetic manipulation in 2015.

8 Likes

I missed that one. Fuck.

8 Likes

Even if you’re a disgusting bigot who hates trans people, though, you don’t have to downplay the rise of outright fascism that is currently getting thousands of people killed. Like, if there is any issue that concerns the Catholic church, maybe it could be the ideology that is putting up razor wire to kill mostly-Catholic refugees?

But lord, no, instead a handful of people are making themselves happy by not lying about who they are. :rage:

10 Likes
11 Likes

Some bigots claim to have gotten some internals files from WPATH and are already at work on the negative spin. Not sure how for of a reach these people have. Better to be aware of it than taken by surprise later.

6 Likes

I mean…most of that is completely normal discussion. In one case, a doctor wrote to WPATH about what to do about a 14 year old patient who wanted gender affirming surgery. Notably, the “files” don’t contain a reply. WPATH’s own published standards, however, are pretty clear that surgery is not generally recommended in a patient that young. I realize they’re going to try to make this into a big controversy, but frankly it’s a big nothing burger. One of the doctors was talking about why it’s difficult to get informed consent from younger patients. He wasn’t saying that to start a discussion on how to get around informed consent. Quite the opposite. That difficulty is one of the reasons WPATH doesn’t recommend surgery on younger patients. I haven’t watched the video, and I’m not going to. I’m sure it’s just a discussion about all the issues involved in gender affirming care for minors. It can be a tricky field, even without the current political climate. The standards for children and adolescents are still relatively new, and being constantly updated. That was likely a discussion involving that. It would be very easy to cherry pick comments out of a discussion like that that would sound bad out of context. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, though.

8 Likes

That’s what I figured, but the size and spread of nothing burgers always concerns me.

7 Likes

Is there a way to report this Shellenberger guy to Substack, and would it do any good if you could?

4 Likes