Today in transphobia (Part 2)

Yeah. What I don’t understand is the Media Bias chart. I used to use that, but it has the New York Times and CNN both as “skews left”, with the Times further to the left than CNN. It also has the Jimmy Dore Show as hyper partisan left, when that guy is almost as bad as Joe Rogan these days.

9 Likes
9 Likes

As I commented last time I saw it

That was a year ago and it hasn’t been corrected since. That alone puts this Media Bias chart in it’s own Contains Inaccurate/Fabricated Info category

10 Likes

… and no longer local. One in the “not awful” coverage:

I’m not linking to the Daily Heil and others like that.

8 Likes

Add another headline to that:

Gizmodo shows New York Times How to Cover Transphobia

10 Likes

11 Likes

She really doesn’t know shit about this subject, does she?

10 Likes

Hopefully she’s getting schooled in the replies.

7 Likes

This is pretty common knowledge. What an idiot.

10 Likes

She is, but she’s doubling down, claiming that Magnus Hirschfeld was a eugenicist. That’s reductive, though. Yes, Hirschfeld felt that people like alcoholics and people with other mental disorders shouldn’t reproduce. He completely rejected the idea that some races were superior to others, however. Yes, his ideas about eugenics seem horrible today, but he wasn’t nearly as extreme with it as many at the time, and he was hardly alone in his views among people who were otherwise progressive. Hell, the Unitarian Church supported that view of eugenics at the time. Rowling is also claiming the people Hirschfeld treated were just gay, not trans. Because she doesn’t think trans is real. She thinks we’re confused, and just too ashamed of being gay to admit that we’re gay. So from her point of view, Hirschfeld’s treatment of trans people amounts to sterilizing gay people. She’s so awful.

11 Likes

“You can’t persecute this group because they’re not even real” is getting to be quite the refrain among the world’s worst these days. :disappointed:

11 Likes

An awful lot of people were eugenicists in the early 20th century, including many of the most progressive politicians, activists and so on.

It was before the whole thing had been thoroughly discredited by the Holocaust, better understanding of heredity, better understanding of the causes of crime, more attention given to the rights of minorities (ethnic, sexual etc.) and the disabled people, and so on.

7 Likes

Right. And to Hirschfeld’s credit, he never bought into the racial, ethnic, sexual, or gender aspects of eugenics. And it was never a major part of his ideology or his work. He was quite political. He worked very hard to decriminalize homosexuality in Germany, and was exiled for it.

9 Likes

Yeah, I think we’re just having a side discussion that we shouldn’t let become a distraction from the main issue; namely, that JKR is a (mendacious and/or ignorant) piece of shit TERF, still.

6 Likes

The NHS has not stated it will restrict puberty blockers for non-transgender children and young people.

Of course not. Because it is not the existence of the drug being eliminated, it’s the trans kids.

9 Likes
12 Likes

Someone had better tell Petunia about her feminist heroine, Emmeline Pankhurst.

ETA:

The TERs don’t believe trans people exist (dehumanising us and “justifying” their extermination of us), and they deny the Nazis extermination campaign. How can they exterminate us if we don’t exist?

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

This is the buildup to atrocities, and why the genocide prevention organisations are watching Britain like they are watching Ukraine, Palestine and many other places where there is a threat of genocide.

The genocide hasn’t happened yet, but if people wait for that then it will be too late.

7 Likes

medical examiner’s report disclosed that Benedict died by suicide and did not die as a direct result of physical trauma from the physical altercation at Owasso High School in Owasso, Okla., on Feb. 7, 2024.

This is what i was afraid would be the case. They can claim now it was “mental illness” and not the assault, which capped a long history of bullying, that caused their death. That’s bullshit, of course. If this had been a cis het white girl, there would outcries about holding the assailants accountable. The fact that this was an LGBT victim makes it all hunky dorey. I hate this timeline.

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

10 Likes

I’m not so sure. For some reason, schools seem reluctant to stop bullying. Case in point:

There were citywide protests of the school after this for not doing anything. Of course…nothing changed. I’m sure the family will sue, but I’m not aware of any school officials resigning or being fired. Or any policy being changed. And New Jersey has an anti-bullying law. But it has no teeth. It just says the school has to have a policy.

11 Likes

10 Likes