Today in transphobia (Part 2)

Yep - dad watched that. We were not amused.

9 Likes

I’m not sure if you’d find this any more amusing, though it aired on Comedy Central and at least tried to be funny.

6 Likes

Good news everyone?

8 Likes

I went to a practice round for the PGA Championship one year, back when Tiger Woods was at his peak. It was pure insanity, really just because of Tiger Woods. We ended up finally just going to a later hole, parking ourselves early, and waiting for Tiger to play through. Was it exciting? No. It was mostly boring. At the time, though, it seemed worth it for a chance to see Tiger Woods hit a golf ball, even though it was just a practice round.

7 Likes

It ruins a nice walk.

9 Likes

I think the nadir must be televised poker. I can’t think of another game where no matter what the odds, how big a win or loss is at risk, how much drama there might be in theory, good players will always look bored out of their minds. I’ve seen ads for it comparing it to the excitement of football or bull fighting – literally anything other than what they are actually showing, which is indifferent people looking at cards.

But if you play really well, it’s over faster!

6 Likes

I…unironically love watching poker on tv. It was boring until they came up with the idea of putting tiny cameras in the table so you could see what everyone’s hole cards are.

8 Likes

“And here we find the darts enthusiast in his native environment. Note the territorial display of the larger male over his pint. He faces a tradeoff between guarding his pint and challenging for an open oche…”

9 Likes

C’mon massive stroke!

11 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

10 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

8 Likes

11 Likes

For someone who claims to be such an advocate for women; it’s strange how all of her books have men as the lead characters.

11 Likes

She claims to have suffragists as her heroines, but the TERs actions point towards their opposition.

The patriarchal ideology of separate spheres, based primarily on notions of biologically determined gender roles and/or patriarchal religious doctrine

9 Likes

“You’ve seen nothing yet,” tweeted Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling on Sunday. She was responding to another X user who had told her, “Your downfall is so sad,” a reaction to her continued attacks on transgenderpeople. Rowling promised that worse was in store. “Wait til I hit rock bottom. It’s going to be spectacular,” she wrote.

This prediction, and much of what Rowling has said of late, are altogether in keeping with what denizens of X (formerly Twitter) refer to as “Meltdown May,” a month-long season when, for whatever reason, online

—
She didn’t stop there, however. While sparring with an X user whose bio indicates that they are 17 years old, Rowling spun out a bizarre hypothetical about whether she would “get to be black if I like Motown and fancy myself in cornrows.” The parallel drew widespread allegations of racism, with Nikole Hannah-Jones, the New York Times journalist behind the Pulitzer-winning 1619 Project , warning: “Stop using Black people as your comparison group because it almost always reveals more about you than you think it does.”

—
Rowling’s manic posting and deranged rhetoric, her toxic social feed (a veritable who’s who of “gender critical” types), her newfound proximity to dangerous extremists (Chaya Raichik, who runs the transphobic hate account Libs of TikTok, has lately started tagging and replying to her), her sharing of material from dubious groups such as the Gay Men’s Network (which frames “gender identity ideology” as a type of “homophobia”) and her inability to stop denouncing people like Clark as if they are misogynists and predators all point to an obsession that has only grown stronger over time. What was once a trickle of worrying hints is now a torrent of abuse. seem more inclined to self-destructive behavior. Yet for Rowling this is just the next stage of a mounting extremism that has come to overshadow her groundbreaking writing career.

8 Likes

Yeah, she used to be a successful author.

Now she’s just another shitty rich right-winger screeching hate on Twitter.

8 Likes

Umm, wow, unintentional self-awareness, maybe? I would have expected an author, of all things, to be better with using language. Has anybody checked her for brainworms?

10 Likes

Which reminds me…

7 Likes