Today in transphobia (Part 1)

I’m so sick of these assholes. Semeya has ever right to run. This woman is just pissed because a black woman is better than her…

Some of the responses to her are pretty great, though. Bravo for them!

Indeed! The whole scenario she cooked up is ludicrous, but so is the entire assumption that the only value people bring to a community is their “natural” reproductive value. One doesn’t just spit out kids and your done. People got to raise them and care for them, too. And an actual society needs people doing all kinds of useful things that have literally zero to do with reproduction. What strikes me is that these people literally want to make everything about reproduction, when the raising of children to be part of society is much more complicated than that, and is not the end all and be all of being a human being.

13 Likes

And stupidity helps breed bigotry; it’s an endless negative feedback loop.

14 Likes

There are biologists who talk about the reproductive value of lgbt people in passing on genes as they support their families and often help raise kids - if your sisters gene’s get passed on because you raised her kids or supported the community that enabled this - your genes get passed along. They posit evolutionary pressure for lgbt people as those communities with those additional supports thrive better - and pass along those cooperative queer genes.

12 Likes

Makes sense to me. Passing on genes is more than just bearing children, but is about passing on values, etc… It’s the same reason why people don’t die the second they are past child bearing years… they contribute to the community in important ways.

And plenty of LBGQT+ folks do have kids, through adoption, invetro, help with their siblings kids (as you note), etc.

15 Likes

That divisiveness is not unique to my family.

2 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me how far transphobic folks will go to spite trans folks even if the same talking points are made by social conservatives and reactionaries to advocate for discrimination against LGBT folks.

11 Likes

I will almost certainly not reproduce, not that I would want to. But I would gladly pass along my values and work to make this world a better place for others’ children, even if I don’t have any of my own.

That’s because they don’t remember being discriminated against. That, or they do remember and have turned into sadists the moment they’ve encountered people even less mainstream than them.

13 Likes

The trick is that they aren’t spouting conservative talking points- they’re actual conservatives.

8 Likes

Which all of us should get to make that choice, I think. Of course in some places in America…

Yeah, this is a larger point I want to make as well, that those of us with children most certainly don’t raise them in a vacuum or all by ourselves. We usually have some sort of community help. Although it’s generally speaking parents who instill the most information into our kids, so do lots of other people in their lives - other family members, friends, their friend’s parents, teachers, librarians, doctors, nurses, etc. I always thought that one goal should be to help them negotiate difference in a community in a health and more structured manner. Being around people who are different from you and learning from them is one of the best ways to do that…

12 Likes
9 Likes

9 Likes

Ah, gamers, am I right? Oh wait, wrong thread.

(And snark aside, fuck these transphobic assholes.)

11 Likes

Transphobianism is a religion? Guess I missed that one.

10 Likes
7 Likes

Maybe I’m a fool, but I like to think that a better mix of all kinds of people increases the chances of equality. Clumping breeds ignorance breeds fear breeds hate breeds violence.

6 Likes

If your religion lets you threaten a kid then you’re a bitch.

11 Likes

British supermarket group Co-op is being boycotted by Mumsnet users who are offended that the chain ran an advert for strawberries featuring a transgender woman.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/07/08/mumsnet-users-boycott-co-op-strawberry-ad-trans-woman/

5 Likes

“Feminism is the fight for liberation, not equality. Transwomen are not the same as me, they’re male,” said another Mumsnet user.

Fuck that noise, I’m buying strawberries on the way home.

sorry

13 Likes

(I still think Piers is a massive twat, BTW. Stopped clock etc.)

12 Likes

Today in good news…

13 Likes