Today’s non-US mass shooting (or attacks with other means than firearms)

Japan Times notes…

The incident marks the first fatal shooting at an SDF facility in nearly 40 years.

The three victims are a 52-year-old man and two 25-year-old men. All three were transported from the range to a hospital following the shooting. The 52-year-old and one of the 25-year-olds later died.

The suspect said his target was the 52-year-old instructor, but that he first shot a 25-year-old SDF member next to him because he was obstructing his line of sight, investigators told NHK.

Earlier in the day, Gen. Yasunori Morishita, chief of staff of the GSDF, said in a news conference that the GSDF will set up an investigation committee to determine the cause and prevent a recurrence.

“As an organization that uses weapons, this kind of incident should never have happened,” Morishita said. “In response … we have immediately suspended all (live) firing drills throughout the country.”

4 Likes

These are Europe’s equivalent of gun massacres. They are repetitive mass killings of people enabled by a sickness in our body politic. We not only tolerate these mass killings, we actively prosecute those seeking to minimise the death toll.

4 Likes

Democracy Now coverage of this crisis, and the terrible media and public policies that make it worse:

5 Likes

BBC News - China kindergarten stabbing: Six dead in Lianjiang

2 Likes

BBC News - Deadly shooting in Auckland hours before Women’s World Cup

3 Likes
3 Likes

BBC News - ‘Don’t Ask Why’: South Korea grapples with back-to-back ‘Mudjima’ stabbings

3 Likes

“The US of Asia” is literally the scariest thing i read today. Also, “Don’t Ask Why” crimes could cover a lit of territory here!

4 Likes
3 Likes

Awww, hell. We’re contagious, aren’t we? I know it’s self-centered, but shootings at medical centers seem a lot closer than most. And, holy shit, get folks to barricade themselves in, then set fires? I hate this guy a lot.

4 Likes

BBC News - Bangkok: Three die and 14-year-old held over Siam Paragon mall shooting

BBC News - One dead in France school stabbing

1 Like

… the other kind of mass murder

Prague shooting: Several dead and dozens injured in university shooting

1 Like