Toilet for folks who consume golf balls or pounds of McNuggets

I replaced two old toilets in our house with Kohlers. The old ones used about a swimming pool of water to do a (ahem) shitty job, and often needed a second flush. The Kohlers use 4.8 litres (1.28 US gal.) per flush, and in two years of use have never once failed to clear the bowl, even in the face of (humblebrag here) some world-class challenges*. I’m considering donating our plunger to the church rummage sale.

The Kohlers have what they call “a cartridge” in them that somehow gives a boost to the flush. I don’t know how it works, but a complete flush takes literally three seconds.

I don’t know that professional installation is necessary. It’s sort of the opposite of rocket science.

.* “…the foul crimes done in my days of nature
Are… purged away.
I could a tale unfold whose lightest word
Would harrow up thy soul, freeze thy young blood…”

8 Likes

Possibly informative:

13 Likes

Can they flush an entire rolls-worth of toilet paper that has been shredded by an industrious toddler? And topped off with half a box of “flushable” wipes?

That has poop ON TOP making retrieval odious?

14 Likes

I think that explains the difference between my old conventional toilets and my new ones.

1 Like

Are there any old folks here? Wasn’t this more normal in the 80s? I distinctly remember always being able to flush leftover stew down the toilet with no issues, then the era of the low flow toilet arrived.

3 Likes

I notice they didn’t show toilet paper clogs. The kryptonite of toilets.

4 Likes

My parents still have the original powder blue American Standard from the 60’s in their house. Probably like 5 gallons a flush. The beauty of it is how slow it is. You push the handle and the water starts to lazily move. Fifteen seconds later and there’s a good swirl going on, and then the water actually starts to leave the bowel. Another 10-15 seconds pass as the waste actually gets flushed away. The last Champion I installed would have been flushed and refilled in less than 30 seconds.

6 Likes

Fucking toddlers, how do they work?

10 Likes

… If these symptoms persist, consult your doctor immediately…

5 Likes

I’ve always installed kohlers. They aren’t too expensive, look nice, work incredibly well, easy to install, and are quite practical.

5 Likes
One drawback wash down toilets have versus siphon models is the smaller water spot in the bowl, which can result in “skid marks” happening on ocassion.
My dad called them beaver slides....
5 Likes

Golf balls and chicken nuggets are not a realistic representation of shit. Have you ever tried to flush the shit of a toddler who has been withholding ? It’s like a hard clump of play-dough that seemingly expands to twice it’s size once it gets around the bend. I keep a stack of cedar shims in my bathroom to break these poos up before flushing.

In case you are wondering, you are supposed to flush the poop from the diaper before you throw the diaper away in the trash.

3 Likes

Fuck that noise.

Also in other news. A 2.5 year used Ubbie smells like Satan’s asshole. Seriously you are never getting that thing to be usable for anything other than waste storage.

Honestly if my wife would have let me I’d went real cloth diapers and just washed them myself… She just has a tendency to gag around that toddler poop smell.

2 Likes

When water is leaving my bowels, flushing tends to not be a problem. It’s the times when I drop something heavy enough to “clank” that I worry about.

10 Likes

See that’s what happens when I’m posting after getting off third shift…

I mean this thread, it’s literally shit posts.

13 Likes

Anyone with a teenage son will tell you that you’re lucky if he eats LESS than 1.5 pounds of nuggets at one sitting.

4 Likes

6 Likes

We do cloth diapers, hence the flushing. But you’re supposed to flush when using disposable too … say so right on the box, except it uses the word “waste” instead of “shit” or “poop”.

1 Like

Well apparently Pampers didn’t get the memo. I’ve got a box of #2 Baby Dry and 3-4T Pull Ups and neither has any instructions about disposal. Just the usual flammable and suffocation warnings.

I already knew that in the US practically nobody build their house out of brick or stone, and that all of the electrics are 120V and don’t have a fuse, but now I find that US toilets are rubbish.
How do you people even live?

6 Likes