Tom Petty, RIP

I can’t take credit. :slight_smile: Borrowing the basic gist of a review I read back when it came out, not sure where.

THATS HIM - Thanks!

I just remembered an old story. In 1981 his label wanted to charge an extra buck for the Hard Promises album and he told them to F themselves, leading to a wonderful cover photo:

5 Likes

I can’t find a video link, but another memory of Tom Petty was from years ago when his record label, Def American Records, held a mock funeral for the word “def” as they changed their name to American Records. MTV was there and talked to Tom Petty in funeral garb, who was one of the pallbearers, carrying a coffin down the street. “This is quite a production, Tom, how would you describe the emotion here at this occasion?” they asked. “I dunno, man, but it sure as hell ain’t def,” he grinned.

Welp, I feel like a dickhead. Realised last night while watching a Tom Petty tribute that I’ve been confusing him with Tom Waits. And was wondering why no-one was mentioning that distinctive, gravelly voice. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.