Tom Petty, RIP

His last two studio efforts Mojo and Hypnotic Eye are both outstanding IMO. Wildflowers might be my all time favorite, though.

9 Likes

From Mojo. A slow burner with scorching guitar work by Campbell.

3 Likes
4 Likes

And there aint a thing you can do, or that’s how it feels. I guess we have to appreciate people while we have the chance…

ICU what did there.

3 Likes

Fantastic music and an important piece of my life has gone forever. I do not believe that you should live in the past and there are great new bands now but (in general) the cr@p ones who provide a quick and easy $ are promoted and funded by the blood sucking parasites (known as record companies) whereas the really talented bands are left to fend for themselves these days. Tom was just in another league. RIP Tom and thank you for everything.

6 Likes

South Carolina’s decision to lower the Confederate flag on their statehouse has caused a wide range of reactions in the rock community. While many acts are cheering the decision of the South Carolina legislature, some acts are continuing to sell Confederate flag merchandise and rockers like Kid Rock remain defiant. “Isn’t Kid Rock from the Midwest?” Tom Petty asks with a chuckle. “I think they were on the other side of the Civil War.”

Petty, who featured the Confederate flag prominently onstage during his Southern Accents tour in 1985, spoke to Rolling Stone hours after the flag was taken down to express remorse for his actions.

8 Likes

Thank you for posting my favorite Tom Petty song.

Another favorite, appropriate to say goodbye.

2 Likes

Same here. Bought that album at a used music store, and I’d have worn that CD out if it were possible. That song especially.

1 Like

Sad to see him pass, but I always thought his music was boring. Just my personal preference in music I suppose.

I’m in the same boat; I’ve always liked his music but not to the point where I actually own any of his recordings. However: I will say that his “Buried Treasure” show on Sirius XM was great. It reminded me of another radio show, “Twine Time,” with the late Paul Ray that I used to hear in Austin.

2 Likes

When I told the news to my girlfriend, she answered “who?” Strangely, Tom Petty isn’t well known in France.

if she was an American girl

3 Likes

He will be missed.
He had a fantastically productive run.

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/03/555302003/tom-petty-to-fresh-air-the-songs-mean-a-lot-to-people-and-it-means-a-lot-to-me

3 Likes

Fuck off. He wasn’t even old. Literally all my heroes are dead!

1 Like

He promised not to back down.

I still need to check out Hypnotic Eye, but Mojo is great. It’s so unapologetically nostalgic, just solid rock by a bunch of genre veterans who know what they’re doing, and having fun.

1 Like

Wildflowers is a perfect album, start to finish. If you only try one, try that.

3 Likes

Marc Maron :slight_smile:

That’s a good description for Mojo. Hypnotic Eye is slightly different, but still great.

I agree. Here’s one not heard too often off that -

1 Like