Tonight's U.S. presidential debate: Biden v Trump

10 Likes
15 Likes

Welp, just a few more hours and it looks like the debate is gonna happen…

Here is President Biden downtown greeting supporters…

:woman_shrugging:

Trump still has a few hours to call it off…

15 Likes

ETA:

ETA2:

My guess is he probably will go through with this debate. How? We shall see.

8 Likes

Oh hey cool–

14 Likes

All TFG can do is gish gallop. It’ll take hours to fully debunk his 90 minutes.

9 Likes
9 Likes

Fuck them, they are the real scary.

4 Likes

The interns for tonight’s fact checking have been split into two groups. The first group is frantically preparing to dive deep into policy documents looking for errors in stated numbers or misquotes. The second team is huddled in the corner rocking back forth and sobbing loudly. Good luck brave interns.

11 Likes
17 Likes

1. Beat Low Expectations

As I wrote earlier this week, Biden isn’t debating Trump; he is debating the public’s concerns about his age and vitality. Questions about the viability of an 82-year-old serving another four years in the most high-pressure job in the world are more than fair, but the specific questions around Biden are fueled by dishonest Right Wing propaganda, out-of-context clips pushed on social media by bad faith actors, and a media environment that makes it hard for non-news junkies to see the President speak.

Until the debate scheduled for September, tonight is the best opportunity for Biden to counter this image of “Sleepy Joe” and assuage concerns about his age. Being fine is good, but blowing past expectations (like in the State of the Union) is ideal. What the Biden campaign wants more than anything is a bunch of people expressing surprise at Biden’s skills on social media to drive a meta-conversation about his performance.

7 Likes

Indeed. Even though the right has been pushing hard the narrative that such a doddering old fart could only do so by being hopped up on Gawd knows what.

7 Likes

A mixture of geritol, espresso and Vitameatavegamin.

9 Likes

The timing of this coming on line TODAY is <chef’s kiss>

9 Likes

I’m going to watch some of it, although I will be late. I have a 12 step meeting tonight, and we have business to discuss in addition to the regular stuff, and that’s more important for me than the debate. But I do want to watch some of it. Mainly because if it goes completely off the rails, I want to see it. And I figure there’s probably at least a 50% chance of that.

Will this debate make any difference? Maybe. If there are open minded independents and anti-Trump Republicans who have been leaning towards voting for Trump anyway because they’ve bought into the nonsense that Biden is in cognitive decline, this debate could change their minds. Is that a ton of people? Probably not, but I don’t think it’s zero. I also saw a poll on MSNBC that over 30% of Kennedy supporters said they would be willing to change their mind depending on how this debate goes. That’s not a ton of people either, of course, but again, it’s not zero. Only about 15% of Biden and Trump supporters said they were open to changing their minds. That actually seems high to me, and that would be significant, but we’ll just have to wait and see. I don’t trust polls very much at all these days.

9 Likes

Marge has started.

I really don’t want the circumstances that got us cheap gas when he was president.

12 Likes

Here is the PBS Newshour link for people who want to watch on a live stream…

10 Likes

Trump makes the best faces.

I don’t think I can take 90 minutes of this.

8 Likes

Opener: “the economy”

Biden sounded tired and his voice sounds a bit rough.
Points out the crashed economy and T’s “bleach” as an answer to COVID death tolls.
Invoking his Scranton past.
He’s quoting his results re: lowering pharmaceuticals prices.

T claiming his guys got “our country” out of the COVID “mess.”
Says inflation is “killing us.”

B telling us T rewarded the wealthy and that T lost us more jobs than any other president since Herbert Hoover. Man he sounds super tired. Yikes.

ETA:
New q to T:
T speaking in hyperbole re: inflation and Afghanistan.
“When we cut the taxes” “we took in more revenue”

“More people died under his administration than our administration.”
Now claiming that B mandating the COVID vacc was bad.

Ohhhhh now he’s saying B allowing immigrants in “to destroy our country.”

10 Likes

Raspy Joe versus the tacky ass reality TV star fascist. Unfortunately that showbiz experience might win the optics war with the completely uninformed

We’re more fucked than most people realize

11 Likes