Top Trump strategist quits, writes an open letter warning America about him

I have always argued one does not get to that kind of position without being an asshole to some degree. Trump is just so over the top an blatant about it. However he isn’t as scary to me as Cruz is.

13 Likes

Al Murray?

Al Murray stood for election at South Thanet as the candidate for the Free United Kingdom Party (FUKP), against Nigel Farage, the leader of Ukip and Trump-a-like. He didn’t win but neither did Falange so he was happy.

5 Likes

You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

1 Like

To be clear, the narrative that’s being confirmed is not that he’s incompetent, opportunistic, selfish, etc. Those are just facts (or opinions based on facts).

It’s that Trump started his campaign just to garner publicity, and along the way he decided he should run the country.

7 Likes

Better late than never, I think.

25 Likes

I do have to disagree with one part of the article:

I don’t think he’d engage in physical labor for anything less than a hundred dollars. He’s crass, selfish, and a boor, but he’s got priorities.

19 Likes

It is, however, certainly a startling thing when you stop to take a wide view of the millions of Americans who are kinda ok with it. The best thing about the Trump candidacy is that it has laid bare (and revealed the scale of) the mass-ignorance, xenophobia, and racism that are still a huge part of mainstream America. For decades now, minorities have had their complaints of a rigged system and hardly meager gains met with apathy and ‘yeah we fixed all that, we’re all good now’. You can’t look at how successful Trump’s campaign has been and deny that ignorance and racism are still stat quo in 201X America. Trump’s success and belligerence (so gleefully celebrated by a completely morally bankrupt media) has emboldened the bigots who resentfully kept their idiot views private because of ‘political correctness’ to proudly come out and show their true colors. I have no sympathy for these people, and I’m not interested anymore in trying to understand them. They are ignorant and spiteful, and willfully choosing to remain so. They are dragging the rest of us down, the rest of us who actually care about living together in a civilized and decent world, and who don’t want to suffer anymore because of willful ignorance. I can only hope this out-in-the-openness will force some introspection in times to come and some honest evaluation of where we really are.

26 Likes

Well yeah, but stabbing isn’t that difficult and you can probably get a number of supporters in fairly quickly, especially since they’d likely line up for some kind of multi-blade knife. The real money’s in volume, we all know that.

3 Likes

Stabbing fools, on the other hand…

3 Likes

Donald’s an incredible negotiator, though. I’m fairly sure he’d generate a contract with some illegal immigrants paying them to do the lowly work, hire them to do the stabbing (with some amazing StatGear Rescue Knives - they cut through literally any supporter), and once the work was done, point out a clause in the contract that invalidates their eligibility for payment, then call INS.

11 Likes

Too much “House of Cards.”

Sociopaths are drawn to politics I’m sure, but…
All things being equal which party has more appeal.

2 Likes

I was referring to the general support, relating to the quote that “we” all are angry. Not specifically to her. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

1 Like

Reuters is reporting that Trumps’ campaign manager has been arrested in Fla for battery. It just gets uglier every day.

6 Likes

I’m struggling to parse her comments a bit but I have a feeling she may not approve of Trump very much. Can anyone confirm?

I continue to have the horrible feeling that the other Republican candidates and Clinton are all exactly the same, it’s just that they are generally better at concealing it. Perhaps what Trump really needs is a sign on his back saying “Yes, many politicians are exactly like this, beware.”

9 Likes

I think these ones only imagine themselves as disenfranchised. They are missing not agency but rather agency over others and favored treatment. Or more accurately, slightly less of these things.

8 Likes

A lot of people have openly joked about this or even suspected it – that he just intended to be a symbolic candidate to buff his own image and become an icon, and all of this is just a big PR campaign for Trump Inc. – but it’s kind of amazing to hear it being stated as fact.

18 Likes

Yep, Lewandowski was arrested for battery. Good Lord, this is definitely the most unhinged primary in my life.

12 Likes

I remember sitting in a bar in Bangkok when the Bush/Gore election had shifted into madness. There were a lot of Europeans there… we were there for hours and hours and everyone was simply shaking their heads saying that “they couldn’t believe that this could happen in America”. That was the moment that the world lost faith in America. The wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Quantamino, systematic American torture, and then the financial meltdown, which was basically architected in America and then copied around the world were just more nails in the coffin. There wasn’t a lot of surprise when no one went to jail…

The meltdown of the Republican party, the Tea Party and now the Trump juggernaut is just another step down the road to hell. Trump is a monster, but he’s just one of many monsters. Fox news is chock full of them. The Republican party is full of them. The democratic party is a moribund, out of touch party that hasn’t anything of substance to address these problems in any substantive way.

America did this to themselves, and they have to get off their asses and stop being mesmerized by the little glowing screens in their hands and take responsibility for the mess they made. But of course they won’t… because they are too busy ‘liking’ the latest pointless cute animal gif posted , with some pithy saying, that they will have forgotten seconds later.

Boing Boing is certainly not immune and has been diluted by the relentless American obsession with the trivial, the pointless and inane. Boing Boing used to have a much lower information to noise ratio – but it’s not fair to single out Boing Boing, it’s no different anywhere else.

12 Likes

What he thinks he has done is a full pardon.

If so, it’s not a good one.

How many partners have dumped him since this run started? How is Trump the business doing?

3 Likes