Total lunar eclipse Sunday January 20 will be 'Super Blood Wolf Moon'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/17/total-lunar-eclipse-sunday-jan.html

5 Likes

I can’t wait for Super Blood Moon II Turbo Championship Edition.

19 Likes

Only one wolf?

24 Likes

Do we need the XKCD? Probably.

9 Likes

Provided it isn’t overcast as usual for this time of year in Seattle it will be pretty neat.

6 Likes

I want a three moon, one wolf shirt.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Is it me or have the last few eclipses all been super moons? Go on like this and soon nobody will care about them, got to keep it exclusive :wink:

4 Likes

BE PREPARED!

• Silver bullets.
  • Wolfbane-scented Overnight Maxi Pads.
  • Extra-strength depilitent.
  • Rose-tinted night vision goggles.
9 Likes

I am totally stealing “Super Blood Wolf Moon” for the name of my band if I ever start an 80’s hair metal cover band.

5 Likes

Blood Wolf Moon,” you say?

Super!

9 Likes

Next one’s gonna be super duper!

5 Likes

Where did the obsession with naming moons come from? I understand that the names existed previously, but I can’t recall ever seeing it in the news until a few years ago when someone did a story on a super moon. Then suddenly every month had a super moon or blood moon or super blood moon story.

Edit: Google Trends show interest starting in 2009 even though their data goes back to 2004. A Google search for anything dated prior to 2009 results in almost nothing in the first dozen pages (single articles in 1982, 1986, 2001, 2008). Must be a slow news decade.

2 Likes

I’m shocked that the greeting card industry hasn’t capitalized on this yet. It’s not seasonal, but it’s nicely predictable and with a bit of inflation/invention of BS lunar terms, fairly common.

Happy Super Blue Blood Tiger Moon Week!

3 Likes

Not if I get there first! Come my early 40’s rockers, to my mom’s garage!

2 Likes

Revelation 6:12, baby. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

7 Likes

Maybe the moon just wasn’t good back then.

2 Likes

Band name aside, you just KNOW some poor kid is going to make the mistake of being born that day and will get the full moniker on their birth certificate. You can’t really choose one of those words and make it work. On the bright side, teachers will be scared of you.

3 Likes

Well, I just got the name for my next Goth Punk Band.

1 Like

Super Blood Wolf Moon Przbylinski. I like it. Better than Blood Sugar Sex Magic, especially during those formative years.

4 Likes