Total lunar eclipse Sunday January 20 will be 'Super Blood Wolf Moon'

Shoot! ‘Super Blood Wolf Moon’ is my activation phrase. Time to fire up the trans-dimensional gateway…

3 Likes

If it encourages folks to go outside and look up, then great!

1 Like

“Super blood wolf moon” is my safe word. I expect Sunday evening is going to be a bit dull now …

4 Likes

Part of the societal shift towards celebrating the humdrum. Let’s give it a participation trophy too. /s

2a7d7dc91bbf449c1458d29a4383a1ace02ab1d5_1_389x500

6 Likes

7 Likes

“In January, the full moon is also sometimes known as the wolf moon or great spirit moon.”

The ancient Native American tradition of using “Wolf Moon” to label the first full moon of the year (Julian calendar) goes all the way back to the 1990s.

“Blood Moon” was originally a Televangelist code-word, lunar eclipses as omens of the End of Days, part of their Revelation fanfic. Journamalists adopted it because it sounds more magical-worldy than boring old scientifical “eclipse”, and to signal their friendliness towards the theocrats.

Expect more made-up spirit-animal-themed moon titles as the enmoronisation continues.

2 Likes

And avoid the werehouse district.

4 Likes

If you do that, then I’m going to call my band “The Nash Ramblers” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the Blue Blood Moon, the second full moon in a month that is also eclipsed… and only those of sufficiently noble lineage can see it.

2 Likes

Followed 14 days later by the Emperor’s New Moon, that everyone can see, but pretend that they can’t.

2 Likes

How high the Moon?

1 Like

I looked at hourly forecasts a few hours ago. Tomorrow by 7 PST it’s predicted to be partly cloudy and that should last til 11 or so. Who knows, we might get to see it?

1 Like

Sadly, over 20 years too late.

2 Likes

So far, no Super Blood Wolf Moon. I’m going to drink some more Scotch by the fire and check again later.

Damn it’s cold out.

3 Likes

Well, looks like it cleared up nicely after the snowstorm up here. Doesn’t look any bigger though. Just fading away.

1 Like

Super, no blood here. Eclipse is a little over 50% coverage so far.

1 Like

no scotch, but 12 year old Redbreast whiskey does the trick for me.

2 Likes

Oh it’s turning a little red as the explode nears completion. This is looking cool now.

EDIT

Now it is a blood red total eclipse and I think we are in the end times.

4 Likes